• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Adam Stansfield 1978-2010

Majago

Very sad news, my thoughts and prayers are with his family. RIP Adam.

Lionheart

Millwall fan here.

I am extremely saddened to hear of the untimely demise of Adam Stansfield, 31 years of age is no age at all.
Anyway just wanted to post RIP Adam and to offer my sincere condolences.

ecfc 4 eva

R.I.P Stanno, a great player we will never forget you

bumble1976

Looking up optimistically...unless I get depressed
In respect of no one could the words honest, hard-working and likable be used more appropriately than Stanno.

Shocked does not start to describe it...saddened to the core.

As with others my thoughts go out to those closest to him.

Let his life be an ispiration to others. He was by all accounts a universally liked gentleman who played the game in the spirit it was intended. Old-fashioned honest hard work and integrity. Proud to have supported him as one of our own and proud to have seen him play so often for us.

...a million miles away from the fake prima-donna attitude that has engulfed the game at the top level these days. Stanno embodied everything I like about this club and about honest, level-headed footballers. A massive loss not only to his friends and family and ECFC, but to the game of football...RIP

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
...a million miles away from the fake prima-donna attitude that has engulfed the game at the top level these days. Stanno embodied everything I like about this club and about honest, level-headed footballers.
Oh that is so true. Well said.

signalspast

A big shock to me to hear of the very sad news. Just four months since diagnosis. Just wishing to pass on my condolences to everybody connected with him. It puts football and rivalries into perspective. A sad loss to the football world, as reputation has it that he played the way football should be played.
All the best to his family
A Plymouth supporter

This was my message to my CPFC pals on our website some of whom weren't quite sure who he was. They know now.

"Sh1t!

That is awful news. I can't believe it. Seen him play so many times. Last one I think was against Leeds in Jan when Exeter won 2-0. He went to hospital with abdominal pains soon after and now he's gone. A local lad too who always, always gave 100% when he played. A fans favourite and a decent player. Fvck.

This is gonna affect a lot of people down here.

RIP Adam. You deserved to wear a professional footballers' shirt and no mistake."

finetime

Knowing Stanno the player, he would have given everything he had in battling this disease.

There hasn't been a more honest, hard working, loyal and decent footballer at this club and it has been a pleasure to watch Adam be such a central figure in the most successful period in the clubs history. There was no better example to Adams determination to succeed than last season after stepping up a division he still put in performance after performance, never giving up and doing his all for the cause.

My thoughts and condolances go to his wife, children and family.

Such a sad loss for everybody.

RIP Adam.

baggieboy

Albion fan here,

Just heard the tragic news. Very very sad.

Never saw him play but heard he had cancer and thought he was doing ok.

RIP and I wish his family and friends all the best.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Having gone off to bed immediately after the end of last night's game, I woke up to this awful news. Reading this thread now makes it all very real, and I am welling up big time.

RIP to a true City hero, one who made the best of his ability, was always determined to give 100% to the cause and bore everything that came his way with amazing courage and fortitude. To have to leave this planet at just 31, with a wife and young family, as well as his vast array of family and friends, really isn't on. To see so many supporters of different clubs offer their condolences shows just how much he touched the game, which will be all the poorer without him.

I hope he gets a terrific send off from the fans next week (and Fullsy's eulogy can take as long as he bl**dy well likes!).