• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A petition to increase Trust control of the club

Mackster

There will be a formal paper presented to the next Board of Society meeting regarding the structure of the Board and its executive positions. This review was undertaken by the Trust Ownership and Membership Working group.

If anybody has any further queries please feel free to email [email protected].
Martin, can this paper be published on The Trust website, or is it for "BoS eyes only"?

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Mackster. I don't see why this wouldn't be published, as I think it is a Part A paper. Once it has been through the February BOS meeting, I will get something on the website and link to it here.

Mike Blackstone

Trust Ownership and Membership Working group..
All these groups and committees reminds me so much of the time when i was on a committee at Exmouth Town FC in the 1980s and we dealt with such 'important' things of discussing whether we should have another key cut - it took about half an hour if i recall for a decision to be reached. Instead of just letting someone in charge get on with it. I am so glad that i am not part of such decision (or lack of decision making) any more. It was so frustrating that everything had to be discussed by the committee. Too many of them and too many people on board.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I would be inclined to agree with Mike if the Trust were having large numbers of meetings all the time. The reality is that we do not. These meetings are used to organise all the projects that are being undertaken by individuals, and to report on progress.

I hope this clarifies the role of the sub boards.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Couple of questions:

1) How does the role of CE differ from the role of Chairman?
2) Any remuneration/honorarium would take funds away from supporting the club. Could this be made up?
3) They're all volunteers, probably with jobs, possibly with families. The Club will work more normal hours, whilst the Trust will work more in the evenings. How would we make the two come together.
4) Given we can't afford Norrie's salary for the role, how can we ensure we get the person with the right calibre in to the post?

With the right job description there would be more accountability on the CE and greater communication would ensue.
The role should be unpaid and not a drain on funds.
I have applied because I am recently retired from a successful business career and have the time and expertise to devote to the role.
And as ex-Sec I am aware of the workings of BoS but am not involved in any politics.
No doubt I am but one of many who would be interested in the role and it should be entrusted to the most suitable candidate.
Jim Enright

Mackster

Couple of questions:

2) Any remuneration/honorarium would take funds away from supporting the club. Could this be made up?
3) They're all volunteers, probably with jobs, possibly with families. The Club will work more normal hours, whilst the Trust will work more in the evenings. How would we make the two come together.
4) Given we can't afford Norrie's salary for the role, how can we ensure we get the person with the right calibre in to the post?
my views:

1) We only want one head honcho, and one with Executive powers to do day to day stuff, therefore the role of CEO is more applicable in such a small organisation.

2) It would be a major part of the CEO's role to generate extra revenue which would help contribute to their salary. My guess it would be a part-time role. It's not just about how much money we can give to the club, but having the leadership that delivers to us the football club we want.

3) It would make The Trust a stronger and more professional organisation by having someone who is not a volunteer that can conduct day to day business with the club.

4) We can't be sure, but providing we put in some measurable performance indicators, the membership can vote Yay or Nay on whether they stay or we look for someone else based on their yearly performance.

Edward

Couple of questions:

Let's not forget that Norrie Stewart was employed by the club as CEO, a quite separate role from Trust CEO.

I am with Mackster on this one - it may prove to be beneficial for the Trust CEO to receive a modest salary to widen the potential pool of applicants.

I am quite certain it would be money well spent.

Mind you, I am less certain that the current BOS will show much enthusiasm for the idea given it has taken them 17 months to debate whether they actually need a CEO.

Hopeless,

Last edited by a moderator:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Let's not forget that Norrie Stewart was employed by the club as CEO, a quite separate role from Trust CEO.
We're aware of that. It seemed to be the most analogous role that I could think of in terms of this discussion.

hern

Martin -, what are the chances of papers for BoS being published before rather than after BoS meetings? You will know that many local authorities for instance publish all "part one" papers on their websites prior to meetings, and it undoubtably informs ratepayers to become involved and to speak with Councillors prior to rather than after the event.

The Trust has such a wide remit now, and its pretty obvious that many of the questions and gripes that crop up on Exeweb, are actually being dealt with perfectly adequately, and that the historical evidence of that is often on the Trust site, but not viewed. (There is very little traffic on the Trust site I am sure you will agree.

It may well assist recruitment and general awareness if the websites were less compartmentalised and the Trust were able to post such reports on WOWS prior to their being debated and voted on at BoS?

Just a thought

T