• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

A further complication to our end of season?

Ian Tarr

With Hartlepool worried about that 3-point penalty, it's also possible that our end of season could be subject to further complications.

Southend today managed to fend off their winding up order, having been given a further seven days to pay their c£400K tax bill.

Their chairman, Ron Martin, says the transfer of funds is imminent, but recent pronouncements from Southend have not exactly inspired great confidence.

So if the worst came to the worst, and Southend were to be wound up next Wednesday, what would happen to their remaining fixtures? Sure they will play Brighton on Saturday, but their other three matches (Oldham (A), Stockport (H) and Southampton (A)) would still have to be accounted for.

If they are unable to fulfil those fixtures, would their 43 results be expunged, or would the FL award points to those three outstanding opponents?

Nobody should want to see a club fold, and indeed from a selfish viewpoint it would do our position more harm than good if the expungement option were to come to fruition, as we would lose four points while most other clubs around us would lose fewer.

Orient, who lost twice to Southend, would be happiest with the rearranged table, while Wycombe would gain two points on us, and each of Hartlepool, Oldham and Gillingham would gain one apiece.

The lower reaches of the table would then look like this (apart from the fact that this weekend's matches would have been played in the meantime):
Yeovil------- 40 45
Hartlepool--- 40 45
Leyton O---- 40 45
Oldham*----- 40 44
EXETER------ 40 42
Gillingham---- 40 41
-------------------
Tranmere---- 39 37
Wycombe---- 40 36
Stockport*-- 41 25

* yet to play Southend

Potentially just one more sign of off-field circumstances screwing up a great competition......

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think the courts would have asked for the details of the money that is imminent so i doubt there is much to worry about. If they were unsure about Southend ability to pay they would've wound them up today, Also Southend have paid i think £2m+ already owed

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Its like being in the Conference. I think Altrincham should be allowed to stay up!

Just relegate 3 teams?

LOG

My head is beginning to hurt with all these ifs, buts and maybes.

Can't we just look after keep our own ship in order until the end of the season and worry about it then?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
My head is beginning to hurt with all these ifs, buts and maybes.

Can't we just look after keep our own ship in order until the end of the season and worry about it then?
I've been going on the FA website everyday checking for new suspensions! Just in case.

Incontinentia

It doesn't seem to me from reports that Southend are in a Chester situation yet and they ought to be in a position to fulfil their fixtures this season at the very least.

They might yet need to go into administration which would involve dropping points the season if they finished in the safety zone, but since they need a bare minimum of seven points from four games to overturn us, it is very unlikely to affect us.

Ian_Woodward

Just want this season over and done with, too much stress! Not had one boring season with Tisdale yet have we, bring on mid table 10/11.

zyderman

ooooohhhhhhhhhh sh*tarrrrrrrrrrrrrrr aaaarrrrrrrrr
Jayzus imagine being sent down because of this. Can't see it happening, surely...

LammieLammieLammie

I think that Sainsburys are providing up front payment for their purchase of Roots Hall arn't they? They managed to find £2,100,000 earlier this year so I don't think it will happen.

Antony Moxey

Not sure we would be that much worse off looking at that table. Five points from the drop zone (I know they have a game in hand) and six points ahead of the next one down from that? I'll take that with a couple of games to go.