• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

***** 23rd March **** Your neighbours need your support - Torquay United in peril

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
This is a desperate, desperate thread:

Ideas for potential buyers include

'Chris Dawson, the Range owner, I know he’s a janner but he might be interested'

'These guys are walking the walk and have tons of connections. Will Ferrell for one comes to mind. What’s the harm in reaching out. Think big guys'

'I have been suggesting the Fragrance Group too. There is a clear correlation with them and the tourism that Torquay United bring (can bring) into the area. It seems like a perfect partnership to me. Imagine the team coach done out in blue and yellow with palm trees sponsored by this group travelling the country advertising as they go! Hang on, I think I just saw a flock of pigs flying past the window……….'

'Legendary cinematographer Roger Deakins was born in Torquay, does he have any interest in football?'

Jeez.
Lol

What about Basil Fawlty? Sue Barker? Hercule Poirot?

Pete Martin (CTID)

ScreenHunter 1663.jpg

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just a couple of things.
The TUST (to an extent) did 'swallow their pride' around 6 years ago and reach out to the Trust.
Myself, Nick Hawker, Elaine Davis and Pete Martin (all serving trustees at the time) went to a TUST EGM when they started to feel that Mr Osbournes intentions were not quite sincere.

We are in constant conversation with TUST through both the Devon Supporters Trusts Group and the SW Supporters Trusts Group. I'm in conversation at the moment with some counterparts from TUST together with our 'friends' down the A38
Doug. We actually helped them set up their Trust. I remember going down there with the much missed, Dacre Holloway to showcase our model and explain how we got to where we were back then (still non-league but surviving). Oh how things have moved on since then!

Doug3101

Doug. We actually helped them set up their Trust. I remember going down there with the much missed, Dacre Holloway to showcase our model and explain how we got to where we were back then (still non-league but surviving). Oh how things have moved on since then!
Indeed Martin.
I think that, over the last few years, TUST have viewed themselves as critical friends and were not keen on ownership/majority shareholders.

I'm thinking that their position may have to change

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indeed Martin.
I think that, over the last few years, TUST have viewed themselves as critical friends and were not keen on ownership/majority shareholders.

I'm thinking that their position may have to change
The challenge to that is the administrator, who is required to get maximum value for the creditors. That possibly won't help the TUST cause.

Reactions: DB9

PeteUSA

The challenge to that is the administrator, who is required to get maximum value for the creditors. That possibly won't help the TUST cause.
I recall back in 1995, Administrator Peacock accepted a nominal sum of a pound for the settlement of outstanding money owed to Ivor Doble. Ivor thought long and hard about losing all of his money, but eventually agreed. I'm thinking that the people owed money at Torquay arent going to be quite so charitable.

Mid Devon Grecian

Lol

Brummies who’ve enjoyed their holibobs on the English Riviera?

Grecian2K

Lol

Don't forget Helen Chamberpot.

Radio Free Skaro

Brummies who’ve enjoyed their holibobs on the English Riviera?
Most people living in Torbay are Brummies, Scousers, Cockneys etc who have relocated to the glorious English Rivera , this population carried on supporting football teams from their place of origin rather than Torquay United.

Gilbert

Just a couple of things.
The TUST (to an extent) did 'swallow their pride' around 6 years ago and reach out to the Trust.
Myself, Nick Hawker, Elaine Davis and Pete Martin (all serving trustees at the time) went to a TUST EGM when they started to feel that Mr Osbournes intentions were not quite sincere.

We are in constant conversation with TUST through both the Devon Supporters Trusts Group and the SW Supporters Trusts Group. I'm in conversation at the moment with some counterparts from TUST together with our 'friends' down the A38
Many thanks for your reply Doug and also to yourself, Nick, Elaine, Pete, Martin, Dacre (much missed indeed) et al, for all you have done over the years for our club and for reaching out to our neighbours. Whereas I realised there had been dialogue over the years I did not quite understand the extent of it. It kind of dilutes my sympathy for the Torquay supporters' groups knowing this, given how much time they have had to prepare and yet still how very much unprepared they appear to be.

Certainly with no disrespect intended, when I suggested they ask for help and take a leaf out of our book, I meant less in regard to presentations of ownership models and share holding structures etc and far more about the spirit of our Board of Trustees at the initial time of our involvement with saving the club. Nights locked in at SJP (or anywhere we could find a room) with take away pizza, a blank flip chart and an agreement that no one leaves until we had come up with a workable idea to raise the funds to keep the club going for another week. There just doesn't appear to be the same fight among Torquay fans. Anyhow, I hope Yellowmayday is able to stir them up and I wish them the best.

Kind Regards

Gilbert