• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

***** 23rd March **** Your neighbours need your support - Torquay United in peril

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is a desperate, desperate thread:

Ideas for potential buyers include

'Chris Dawson, the Range owner, I know he’s a janner but he might be interested'

'These guys are walking the walk and have tons of connections. Will Ferrell for one comes to mind. What’s the harm in reaching out. Think big guys'

'I have been suggesting the Fragrance Group too. There is a clear correlation with them and the tourism that Torquay United bring (can bring) into the area. It seems like a perfect partnership to me. Imagine the team coach done out in blue and yellow with palm trees sponsored by this group travelling the country advertising as they go! Hang on, I think I just saw a flock of pigs flying past the window……….'

'Legendary cinematographer Roger Deakins was born in Torquay, does he have any interest in football?'

Jeez.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is a desperate, desperate thread:

Ideas for potential buyers include

'Chris Dawson, the Range owner, I know he’s a janner but he might be interested'

'These guys are walking the walk and have tons of connections. Will Ferrell for one comes to mind. What’s the harm in reaching out. Think big guys'

'I have been suggesting the Fragrance Group too. There is a clear correlation with them and the tourism that Torquay United bring (can bring) into the area. It seems like a perfect partnership to me. Imagine the team coach done out in blue and yellow with palm trees sponsored by this group travelling the country advertising as they go! Hang on, I think I just saw a flock of pigs flying past the window……….'

'Legendary cinematographer Roger Deakins was born in Torquay, does he have any interest in football?'

Jeez.
FWIW, these aren't at all dissimilar to the conversations that took place at Trust board level in the summer of 2003 when pretty much the only goal was to start the next season. While I'm not sure we reached out to any American film stars we tried pretty much everyone else - many more in hope than expectation - in our efforts to get the club through the summer.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
FWIW, these aren't at all dissimilar to the conversations that took place at Trust board level in the summer of 2003 when pretty much the only goal was to start the next season. While I'm not sure we reached out to any American film stars we tried pretty much everyone else - many more in hope than expectation - in our efforts to get the club through the summer.
If you don't ask you don't get I suppose but I doubt Will Ferrell will be taking over any time soon.

Tim Long

If you don't ask you don't get I suppose but I doubt Will Ferrell will be taking over any time soon.
Looking for help from Elf to get to the EFL? In fact, there's Torquay's pitch to Ferrell: the name of the Disney/Netflix/ whatever show "From Elf to EFL?"

Last edited:

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess. Just seems so pie in the sky.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
You stay classy, Torquay.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Like you, I'd be surprised.

Unfortunately, if the Gulls are looking beyond a diehard fan to bail them out, then I think their task is made that much harder then it would anyway have been by the sad fact that, at this point in time, they're nowhere near the Football League.

Of course, there will be plenty of chancers throwing their hats into the ring [and even weeding them out takes time, which, right now, is a precious commodity for Torquay]. Take, for instance, the guy who somehow contrived to convince Blyth Spartans he's the man to lead them to a bright new dawn: https://x.com/uglygame/status/1760293887015309624?s=20

Gordon Dale

Like you, I'd be surprised.

Unfortunately, if the Gulls are looking beyond a diehard fan to bail them out, then I think their task is made that much harder then it would anyway have been by the sad fact that, at this point in time, they're nowhere near the Football League.

Of course, there will be plenty of chancers throwing their hats into the ring [and even weeding them out takes time, which, right now, is a precious commodity for Torquay]. Take, for instance, the guy who somehow contrived to convince Blyth Spartans he's the man to lead them to a bright new dawn: https://x.com/uglygame/status/1760293887015309624?s=20
Agreed that this is a very tricky situation. One that needs very careful thought. Until 'the dust clears' and the stark figures are to the fore no-one individual or organisation can really help ...save to raise short term funds to keep the playing side operational. As you rightly point up 'false saviours' on ego trips bound. In the final analysis, there will be no quick fix . Only highly dedicated Gull Supporters prepared to give, give, and give again ....like SO many past wonderful true grecians...will succeed. The one 'positive ' , from my contacts , appears to be Torbay Council who own Plainmoor and are said to be very supportive . If true that at least gives cause for hope.

Gilbert

As much as I do not disagree with you, (because similar conversations did take place), I am not certain that this necessarily gives a true picture Egg. Whereas I recall conversations where we effectively 'brain-stormed' ideas for approaching well know City fans, such as Noel tidy beard, and/or those with some kind of connection to the city, such as Chris Martin, it was never a case of plucking the names of American film stars out of thin air. Neither were those conversations the extent of our efforts, nor ever considered to be a realistic short term solution (and therefore a primary course of action). Proactively, among the first things we did was (as you will well remember) to get the local press well onside and launch "The Last Grand Stand" which pulled in several thousand pounds to buy us some breathing space at a time when few local businesses would have anything to do with the club and there was little hope of raising funds from anywhere else to get us through the close season.

Therefore, as an aside from your post, I am staggered that seemingly no one among the Torquay fans has had the passion or the gumption to stand up and make a rallying call as we did, well before now... (and well I remember all your posts and leaflets warning about R&L before it all came crashing down) and yet even looking on from Exeter, we have all been able to see where this train wreck was heading for sometime. If TUST (or any other organisation) is struggling to galvanize the Torquay fans base, it could do worse than to swallow some pride and invite some of the early members of our Supporters' Trust to meet with them and explain how we did it... CVA and all (because if they are £4m in the hole it is either going to take similar action or allow the existing club to go pop and start a phoenix - and I have no idea what that might mean for Plainmoor).

Although I am one of the first to admit that the way in which our club is owned, financed and run is far from ideal, times like this remind me of just how proud we all should be for what we achieved 20 years ago and what has been achieved since. As the Torquay Chairman stands down, when we were in similar position, courtesy of the Fraud Squad in our case, we already had directors ready to step up, the local paper ready to get behind us, several businesses willing to bin in a £1000 a go, and dozens of amazing people, local heroes every one of them, offering their time and skills to do voluntary, unpaid work in the offices, in the stadium and at the training ground.

Either the Gulls' fans are not particularly passionate about their club (although I suspect they are) or we are, in many ways a unique bunch who did something outstanding and perhaps bigger than we ever realised at the time. Sure things are not perfect at ECFC but just being caused to think about it all as a result of circumstances just down the road, it makes me very proud of our wonderful club.

Doug3101

As much as I do not disagree with you, (because similar conversations did take place), I am not certain that this necessarily gives a true picture Egg. Whereas I recall conversations where we effectively 'brain-stormed' ideas for approaching well know City fans, such as Noel tidy beard, and/or those with some kind of connection to the city, such as Chris Martin, it was never a case of plucking the names of American film stars out of thin air. Neither were those conversations the extent of our efforts, nor ever considered to be a realistic short term solution (and therefore a primary course of action). Proactively, among the first things we did was (as you will well remember) to get the local press well onside and launch "The Last Grand Stand" which pulled in several thousand pounds to buy us some breathing space at a time when few local businesses would have anything to do with the club and there was little hope of raising funds from anywhere else to get us through the close season.

Therefore, as an aside from your post, I am staggered that seemingly no one among the Torquay fans has had the passion or the gumption to stand up and make a rallying call as we did, well before now... (and well I remember all your posts and leaflets warning about R&L before it all came crashing down) and yet even looking on from Exeter, we have all been able to see where this train wreck was heading for sometime. If TUST (or any other organisation) is struggling to galvanize the Torquay fans base, it could do worse than to swallow some pride and invite some of the early members of our Supporters' Trust to meet with them and explain how we did it... CVA and all (because if they are £4m in the hole it is either going to take similar action or allow the existing club to go pop and start a phoenix - and I have no idea what that might mean for Plainmoor).

Although I am one of the first to admit that the way in which our club is owned, financed and run is far from ideal, times like this remind me of just how proud we all should be for what we achieved 20 years ago and what has been achieved since. As the Torquay Chairman stands down, when we were in similar position, courtesy of the Fraud Squad in our case, we already had directors ready to step up, the local paper ready to get behind us, several businesses willing to bin in a £1000 a go, and dozens of amazing people, local heroes every one of them, offering their time and skills to do voluntary, unpaid work in the offices, in the stadium and at the training ground.

Either the Gulls' fans are not particularly passionate about their club (although I suspect they are) or we are, in many ways a unique bunch who did something outstanding and perhaps bigger than we ever realised at the time. Sure things are not perfect at ECFC but just being caused to think about it all as a result of circumstances just down the road, it makes me very proud of our wonderful club.
Just a couple of things.
The TUST (to an extent) did 'swallow their pride' around 6 years ago and reach out to the Trust.
Myself, Nick Hawker, Elaine Davis and Pete Martin (all serving trustees at the time) went to a TUST EGM when they started to feel that Mr Osbournes intentions were not quite sincere.

We are in constant conversation with TUST through both the Devon Supporters Trusts Group and the SW Supporters Trusts Group. I'm in conversation at the moment with some counterparts from TUST together with our 'friends' down the A38