• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

2019/20 Retained List.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think we need more ways of creating chances rather than looking at the people who put them away. In the second half of the season teams stopped Williams and stopped us.

Ben Seymour is a natural finisher, and Joel Randall is a box of tricks. Both are young and will be inconsistent, but I believe both are good enough to make an impact next season.

tonykellowfan

In the early season games when I saw Ajose he looked very good and to be honest he looked too good for his team mates. Time and again he got into good positions and made runs that just where not seen by others. I think he ended up getting frustrated.

Banksy

So if we have ‘no firepower’ now and managed to spend the vast majority of the season in the top 3, who is that we’ve released that was the firepower?
That was last season , this one who knows? All I’ve said literally is that just because we’ve been in the top end for the last few seasons enjoying three Wembley finals in the process we shouldn’t expect it to be the same this coming season as a matter of right. We just may need to settle into mid table for a while and consolidate.

Grecianpasty

Look at the facts.

Scored 53 goals and conceded 40. We had two games where we conceded 4 goals and 3 games where we conceded 3 goals.

Take that away and it's clear to see that our defense has been great, demonstrated by our amount of clean sheets and 1-0 victories early on in the season.

MInus bowman and our goals scored ratio is below average.

Ergo Facto, we need more goals.

Rosencrantz

Look at the facts.

Scored 53 goals and conceded 40. We had two games where we conceded 4 goals and 3 games where we conceded 3 goals.

Take that away and it's clear to see that our defense has been great, demonstrated by our amount of clean sheets and 1-0 victories early on in the season.

MInus bowman and our goals scored ratio is below average.

Ergo Facto, we need more goals.
But a few on here do want to be minus Bowman 🤔😉

ryancooper327

In terms of shirt numbers, I'd like to see some changes. I think realistically we can get 3 signings initially; a CB, a right sided forward and a back up keeper, MT seems to want one anyway. I'd like Collins to have a lower number but can only see him as 8 so maybe next year if he's still here and Law goes. The below will only leave Smerdon as over 30 but it's OK as he's 31.

Considering we'll have to use the 'youth' a little more I'd like to see:

OldNew (Vacant)Player
343HartridgeCould be LCB or LB
-5NEW CB5 and 6 should always be CBs
156ParkesParkes will be a starter and needs a 1-11
-7NEW FWNew right sided forward to 'replace' Holmes/L Martin
-9?Who knows anymore, will it? Won't it?
3510SeymourControversial, but can't see anyone else suiting it
-13NEW GKMaybe Thompson? MT seems to like him.
3715DyerLower number for a back up CB
2916Kite16 classic CM number
4519WilsonProbably will be out on loan anyway
3020KeyBit lower…
4121DeanBig shoes to fill, but 41 is too high
3324MorisonSee: Wilson
3628DoddWill we ever see him?
3929DiabateSee: Wilson

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
In terms of shirt numbers, I'd like to see some changes. I think realistically we can get 3 signings initially; a CB, a right sided forward and a back up keeper, MT seems to want one anyway. I'd like Collins to have a lower number but can only see him as 8 so maybe next year if he's still here and Law goes. The below will only leave Smerdon as over 30 but it's OK as he's 31.

Considering we'll have to use the 'youth' a little more I'd like to see:

New (Vacant)Player
3Sparkes
-5NEW CB5 and 6 should always be CBs
6ParkesParkes will be a starter and needs a 1-11
-7Collins
-9?Who knows anymore, will it? Won't it?
10Ajose
-13?Superstitions?
I know you like your squad numbers and that the first eleven should relate to the numbers 1-11, I can't see Hartridge being given the no3 shirt and this will probably go to Jack as he will be our first choice left back, likewise traditionally the no 7 shirt relates to the right winger however in modern football it is normally a midfielder and therefore will probably go to Archie.

I, like you queried who knows if the no 9 shirt is coming back but if it does I reckon it will go to Bowman and the Number 10 shirt to Ajose. The rest of the numbers are irrelevant on a first eleven basis apart from the superstitions that surround the no 13 shirt so wouldn't be surprised if that isn't filled. I also wouldn't be surprised to see someone else filling the No 2 shirt as it sounds that Matt is looking for two defenders this summer, but then that could be me being hopeful.

The youngsters would not generally have numbers between 1-11

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think we need more ways of creating chances rather than looking at the people who put them away. In the second half of the season teams stopped Williams and stopped us.
I agree with this and, as I said on another thread, I expect more from Law in this respect and hope he takes more command of midfield and feeds the strikers in the way Archie did in the second leg v Colchester. Nicky Law is a top, top player in L2 but needs to show it more.

Rosencrantz

I agree with this and, as I said on another thread, I expect more from Law in this respect and hope he takes more command of midfield and feeds the strikers in the way Archie did in the second leg v Colchester. Nicky Law is a top, top player in L2 but needs to show it more.
I think we almost got too eager to play through Williams as Manc suggests and became less balanced in our creative play. When you have players with the quality of delivery as Sparkes and then Dickenson on the left we should have been more balanced in our attacking play. With Law (or MJ) playing through the middle, we should have had a three pronged attacking threat so when the opposition doubled on Williams, switch the threat.