• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Charlton Athletic Matchday thread.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
In the end a draw was probably the fair result, but we where probably the luckier to come away with the point in the end. Yesterday was a really poor and largely boring game, two sides trying to play a way which neither are particularly great at and Charlton where a seriously awful side who lacked quality and effectiveness. Stats wise Charlton had just shy of twice our shots (9-17) and three times our efforts on target (2-6).

Again the issue is our effectiveness on a game, first five mins we looked great, but once we scored we offered nothing in an attacking sense in the remaining 40 mins of the first half. Bar great defending from Purrington on the line, we would've gone in level at half time. 2nd half whilst we had a few half chances I never really felt we'd would get a second goal and always felt vulnerable to an equaliser and probably worse.

Whilst we competed well, Charltons lack of efforts (decent chances) where down to how poor they where rather than exceptional play and defending from us.

Wildschut looked out most likely player to create something, Cox had zero service.

Whilst I am happy we got a point, Cheltenham has become a must not lose just to maintain the gap and not have last minute looking over the shoulders.
Again, go back to what I said yesterday evening. It's not about our effectiveness on the game as a whole but in one particular area. Our choices and execution around the box. Sometimes we need to be braver and take the first opportunity that presents itself rather than thinking we can create something better or when we do look to create something better for execute the final pass better, more positively in most cases instead of just trundling the ball back so that it reaches its mark or its mark hasn't overrun it.

STURTZ

With regards to our fast start and drop off, during our good 10 minute spell I turned to my mate and said it'll drop after 10-15 minutes, it always does but at least we had a goal to show for our efforts, we usually drop off with the game still at 0-0.
Despite instructions to continue the press. Can see why, esp when we are a goal up. When a player receives the ball he has the choice to play the easy pass or play a riskier ball which might set a player away. When the riskier ball loses possession or drifts out of play the player looks silly and can come in for criticism, a safe pass will seldom draw any comment. We usually start and finish games with a more adventurous spirit but our default tactic is just to keep possession. We need to put the ball into more dangerous positions and take risks throughout the game.

grecIAN Harris

Despite instructions to continue the press. Can see why, esp when a goal up. When a player receives the ball he has the choice to play the easy pass or play a riskier ball which might set a player away. When the riskier ball loses possession or drifts out of play the player looks silly and can come in for criticism, a safe pass will seldom draw any comment. We usually start and finish games with a more adventurous spirit but our default tactic is just to keep possession. We need to put the ball into more dangerous positions and take risks throughout the game.
That's about belief and confidence which is why I found it a bit odd that the player playing with the highest belief and confidence, not to mention creativity, Reece Cole was left on the bench.

STURTZ

That's about belief and confidence which is why I found it a bit odd that the player playing with the highest belief and confidence, not to mention creativity, Reece Cole was left on the bench.
I thought the same, wondered if Cole still had a slight knock from Burton and Caldwell was playing the squad game with one eye on Cheltenham on Monday.

STURTZ

Nardiello. He was furious, and ended up getting sent off for continually protesting.
Had a Charlton mate behind the goal, he told me that ball was well over the line. Think that would have put us ahead?

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Good to see some recognition for Ben Purrington in the EFL team of the week

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes I agree there’s a problem there Max, I just don’t agree that going hell for leather for the first 10 minutes then slowing down when we’re 1-0 up is a deliberate tactic from the manager. And I also think Eisa’s problem is very much an Eisa problem. He just isn’t trying hard enough.

You could say that it’s SGC’s fault for bringing him in, or that he clearly isn’t motivating him in the right way, and both are fair points, but I’m disappointed in Eisa’s effort and nous so far. That move in the last minute made me pleased I was sponsoring Muskwe FFS.
FWIW Muskwe's performance against Middlesborough was streets ahead of anything we've seen this far from Eisa IMHO.

elginCity

Good to see some recognition for Ben Purrington in the EFL team of the week

Seeing 4 of his players selected, Darren Moore must have thought he'd be a shoe-in.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seemed to me that Cox played mainly on the right of a front three yesterday rather than being up front on his own (where he might have been isolated with "zero service") with two 10s behind him.
Buy he had no service to effect the game, not so much in the chances he had in the game and because of this has little effect in the game

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Again, go back to what I said yesterday evening. It's not about our effectiveness on the game as a whole but in one particular area. Our choices and execution around the box. Sometimes we need to be braver and take the first opportunity that presents itself rather than thinking we can create something better or when we do look to create something better for execute the final pass better, more positively in most cases instead of just trundling the ball back so that it reaches its mark or its mark hasn't overrun it.
In terms of the final third, we are pretty dreadful and do make lots and lots of poor choices, but also our tactical approach is a huge problem in how we set up for games. We are largely pretty boring to watch (like England, Man City etc.) and have largely poor outcomes (albeit we should stay up, so mission achieved in that regard)