• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official Exeter City versus Burton Albion Matchday Thread

tea stand

Was looking at the fixtures to get an away game in but not looking great, quite fancied the Cheltenham away but I'm back up the road at Easter for Hibs at home then the old firm game at Ibrox vs the scum, I'm definitely up for away trips going into next season, preferably midweek fixtures.
Shame about Carlisle then?

arthur

Very well known Exeweb poster
YouTube hughlights

Interesting to see how two players play so differently in the same position. Wildschut spends most of his time immobile on the touch line either side of the half way line, while Harper, who he replaced, is far more mobile and covers far more ground.

Yet Wildschut's influence when he does get the ball can be massive. The second highlight shows one such instance - a sublime ball from the mighty Aimson which Wildschut was fully tuned in to and should have led to a goal. There were probably only three or perhaps four such contributions from him during the whole of the first half and the rest of the time he was often a spectator. But three or four creations of gilt edged goal chances are not to be sniffed at. At the same time his relative non involvement for much of the game meant his absence in the second half was hardly noticeable and enabled us to play with ten men quite comfortably.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
YouTube hughlights

The goal is an example of Caldwell-ball at its very best. Fantastic team move.

A brilliant week of results which sees us safe. Huge well done to Caldwell and the team who proved the likes of me wrong in our predictions of doom.

I'm still not fully convinced about GC, but we can absolutely call this a successful season (his first full one). The way we've achieved safety hasn't been an easy watch by any means (and not in the traditional sense of winning ugly, but in a style of play that's been tedious in its methodology and patience) but for me, this season, the end justifies the means.

A third season in League One and an opportunity beckons to demonstrate that we have not yet found the ceiling of opportunity under Trust Ownership. At face value our budget is comfortably sufficient for League One football.

Get in there you mighty Grecians!

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

The goal is an example of Caldwell-ball at its very best. Fantastic team move.

A brilliant week of results which sees us safe. Huge well done to Caldwell and the team who proved the likes of me wrong in our predictions of doom.

I'm still not fully convinced about GC, but we can absolutely call this a successful season (his first full one). The way we've achieved safety hasn't been an easy watch by any means (and not in the traditional sense of winning ugly, but in a style of play that's been tedious in its methodology and patience) but for me, this season, the end justifies the means.

A third season in League One and an opportunity beckons to demonstrate that we have not yet found the ceiling of opportunity under Trust Ownership. At face value our budget is comfortably sufficient for League One football.

Get in there you mighty Grecians!
That goal is an example of why the likes of myself and Rosencrantz have been prepared to be patient with what Caldwell is trying to build. We appreciate that it can be as frustrating as hell when the players aren't brave enough on the ball and we become slow and ponderous but when they are brave and move the ball quickly how easily we can slice through sides. If you look at yesterday's starting 11 how many were here when Caldwell arrived? Sweenz and Chieck and that's it. Rome wasn't built in a day and neither is the current ECFC side. Next season we will be starting with a decent basis of a side that knows what is required of them. If course there will be players that come and go in pre-season but it's far easier to integrate into something with a base to it than that hasn't.

fred binneys head

I agree Ian, but we can’t have that football for 1% of the season, he has to find a way to get us scoring more goals. I hope he can do it and am prepared to back him.

grecIAN Harris

I agree Ian, but we can’t have that football for 1% of the season, he has to find a way to get us scoring more goals. I hope he can do it and am prepared to back him.
I don't know if you listened to Thursday pre match presser. Kev was saying that the goals at Shrewsbury are what they want more consistently and play with with the bravery to do so. If we play with the bravery more consistently then surely logic comes that confidence in it and subsequently goals will come. We all know that confidence can make or break. There will be off days, we're not Man City, and there will be days when teams will come up against that will be well drilled, even Man City have that issue, and that is something that I agree that Caldwell will have to find an alternative for but only for when the need requires not to jump ship from because some people in the stands are bored.

Grecian Max

Interesting to see how two players play so differently in the same position. Wildschut spends most of his time immobile on the touch line either side of the half way line, while Harper, who he replaced, is far more mobile and covers far more ground.

Yet Wildschut's influence when he does get the ball can be massive. The second highlight shows one such instance - a sublime ball from the mighty Aimson which Wildschut was fully tuned in to and should have led to a goal. There were probably only three or perhaps four such contributions from him during the whole of the first half and the rest of the time he was often a spectator. But three or four creations of gilt edged goal chances are not to be sniffed at. At the same time his relative non involvement for much of the game meant his absence in the second half was hardly noticeable and enabled us to play with ten men quite comfortably.
Yanic had a great first 15, pulling apart Caprice... and then Jake got his number

Grecian Max

It's this.

fred binneys head

I don't know if you listened to Thursday pre match presser. Kev was saying that the goals at Shrewsbury are what they want more consistently and play with with the bravery to do so. If we play with the bravery more consistently then surely logic comes that confidence in it and subsequently goals will come. We all know that confidence can make or break. There will be off days, we're not Man City, and there will be days when teams will come up against that will be well drilled, even Man City have that issue, and that is something that I agree that Caldwell will have to find an alternative for but only for when the need requires not to jump ship from because some people in the stands are bored.
Yes but it’s easy to be brave against 10 men as you know you’ve got a man over to bail you out if it goes wrong. I agree with you, but we shouldn’t get too carried away after one excellent goal against a poor team.

Grecian Max

Yes but it’s easy to be brave against 10 men as you know you’ve got a man over to bail you out if it goes wrong. I agree with you, but we shouldn’t get too carried away after one excellent goal against a poor team.
Also still very few goals for our actual forwards