• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Official Exeter City versus Burton Albion Matchday Thread

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
That right there is why it was important not to let Aimson go in the January window. He was outstanding today! Cheick did well when he came on as well which isn’t easy to do as a CB.

Niskanen also very good today
Only managed to listen to the game today, so I've not seen it myself, but it's interesting how Aimson and Niskanen, who've been the two main targets for discontent (at least since Scott left), seem to have been getting rave reviews the last three games. It's always up and down a big at this level...

Bridgy 81

Just curious why Chieck isn't starting at the moment?
Because until today all three of Sweeney, Aimson and Jules have been playing very well.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
There were 18 Grecian Lions at the park today - the normal 2 plus the 15 Grecians who played with their backs against the wall and just may have kept us up.
Beers on Jules tonight ?
Who was the 18th ? :unsure: :cool:

iscalad

A hard earned 3 points today. How Will Aimson want MOM is beyond me. As for the ref.........Exeweb swear filter.

Radio Free Skaro

Sweeney seems to have the odd game like this. Is it about him putting a brave face on things, instead of telling the manager he's not up to it?
Sweens always gives everything, presumably he had fitness/injury issues and couldn't continue.

hillview red

Sinisalo - didn't have alot to do but what he did do, he did well. Probably should have been more vocal in the mix-up with Aimson in the first half as he had sight of both players and could make the call.
Sweeney - Not at the races. Not sure why he went off... Illness? Lots of misplaced passes and failed to keep the ball. Wise to take him off as he was on a yellow for a poor tackle from behind.
Aimson - Outstanding. The guy gives everything and puts his body on the line time and time again. I really hope fans begin to appreciate him... So pleased he's a Grecian.
Jules - Solid enough first half and not entirely sure what happened in the tunnel but their Sweeney was in his ear all the way off the pitch. My guess is that he has baited Zak into something silly.
Niskanen - worked his socks off! And... slightly better end product (see assist). Really like the fact we now seem to have a clear plan to cut the ball back to the penalty spot for the second runner ala Lampard. Harris should have buried one early doors.
Wildschut - such a shame he had to be the sacrificial lamb for the red card as he had Caprice on toast. Really encouraging performance.
Carroll - played well and worked his socks off. I know people may favour Woods but he covers so much more ground and is constantly looking for the ball. Another under appreciated player.
Cole - whilst being a walking yellow card... He's fantastic isn't he? All action and running until the 98th minute. Great finish too for his goal. If I could award joint MOTM's to Cole and Aimson I would.
Harris - Another player who works his socks off. Yes, he missed a great chance early on but boy does he cover the ground! Makes our team better and more goals and assists will come. Great run at the end and was right to give it to Alli... Shame he was injured, I'll or simply knackered.
Aitchson - Worked hard and held the ball up well as usual. Stupid yellow card probably forced GC to take him off. Really hope he can eradicate that from his game as he's a brilliant player to have on the pitch when you're trying to close out a game.
Cox - Worked hard with little joy.

Subs
Purrington - Really solid. Great to have such a calm and wise head to bring on when down to 10.
Rankine - usual livewire performance with no end product. Very exciting but could do with something at the end.
Woods - Not the game for him. Playing against 10 - perfect. Playing as part of a 10 man team - problem... He's just super super slow and can't cover the ground. Brilliant on the ball but we needed someone who could cover the ground at that moment.
Alli - Err... Was he injured or ill? Genuinely confused... I sincerely hope he wasn't simply knackered as he was barely on the pitch. Not going to judge him yet and hope there's a good explanation for his drop off at the end.

All in all - great 3 points. Atmosphere was brilliant 2nd half and it was a performance full of grit and quality. Up the Grecians!

Spoonz Red E

Who was the 18th ? :unsure: :cool:
The Equator.

An imaginary lion which runs around the earth.

Grecian2K

As for the ref.........Exeweb swear filter.
To be fair though it could be argued that our erstwhile nemesis Mr Rock unexpectedly helped to provide an (equally priceless ) 3 points on Tuesday.
So swings and roundabouts as they say.

red1

Was Alli injured?? Looked dead on his feet after 15 mins 🤷🏻‍♂️

It's now a 12 point gap to 21st which means a Cheltenham team who have won 9 times all season would need to win 4 of their last 9 games just to get to our current points tally. I think it's fair to say we're safe.
Probably yeah, although needed that today especially as playing them in a couple weeks