• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Harry Kite

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
So, just because he's said it on several occasions means it must be true 😂😂 now that's laughable! All the first year scholars are 'professionals', there are only 2 of that age group that train with the first team, the rest aren't.
I don't think of 16 year olds still studying at college called scholars (previously apprentices) as professionals. The 18 year olds like Borges and Beardmore signed their first year professional contracts in 2023 are what I think of as professionals, not 16 year old scholars

AmberRed

I don't think of 16 year olds still studying at college called scholars (previously apprentices) as professionals. The 18 year olds like Borges and Beardmore signed their first year professional contracts in 2023 are what I think of as professionals, not 16 year old scholars
My typo, meant first year pro's, not first year scholars!

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
The 2 that are training have been part of the first team for years and I'm sure you know who they are, so wouldn't class them as the same aa the rest! All the others are not training! He's not interested in our youth at all and that's a fact.
Nobody believes a word of it. All you have done is make up a rumour and hope some poor deluded ones think you are saying something with a grain of truth.

AmberRed

Nobody believes a word of it. All you have done is make up a rumour and hope some poor deluded ones think you are saying something with a grain of truth.
Everyone can believe whatever they want, I know for a fact that's exactly what has happened. A club like ours needs a manager who develops our youngsters to either play in our 1st team or sell on, not segregate them and block pathways with bang average players.

grecIAN Harris

Everyone can believe whatever they want, I know for a fact that's exactly what has happened. A club like ours needs a manager who develops our youngsters to either play in our 1st team or sell on, not segregate them and block pathways with bang average players.
Back these facts up then, examples etc. Or, like most everything on here, opinion based on what you see?

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
I don't blame Caldwell for looking for quick fixes rather than perhaps looking at the future or bigger picture in terms or playing local lads bringing academy players through , he’s trying to protect himself and his job which given how football management works in terms of job security you cant blame him.

For me its the club not Caldwell who should responsible for deciding those type of things - is being in league one more important than having say 3-4 academy players in the starting 11 playing in league 2 for example who could in time earn the club money?

The reality is mid table in league 1 is probably our ceiling unless investment comes into the club , is that more important than the above? I don’t put that at the managers door , that comes from above IMO.

Number13

I don't blame Caldwell for looking for quick fixes rather than perhaps looking at the future or bigger picture in terms or playing local lads bringing academy players through , he’s trying to protect himself and his job which given how football management works in terms of job security you cant blame him.

But surely the fact that GC is in an unsackable position means that he should be looking longer term rather than quick fixes? Quick fixes are for managers who need results to day and might get sacked? I would say that GC should have his eye on both and our model allows that

iscalad

But surely the fact that GC is in an unsackable position means that he should be looking longer term rather than quick fixes? Quick fixes are for managers who need results to day and might get sacked? I would say that GC should have his eye on both and our model allows that
Who says he's unsackable?

elginCity

Rather than a ‘ceiling’, see the aim more as gaining a foothold in League 1. The club has mentioned more than once the ambition to achieve the highest sustainable position possible.

Lot of talk about Klopp and the LFC Academy, where his ‘heavy metal’ style has been taught from a young age for the past 9 years allowing for a seamless transition to the first team. One benefit to sticking with a ‘style’ should you believe strongly enough in it. Also takes time to develop.

red1

You sound like someone with a personal interest in our youth/academy/scholars.
Am i wrong?