• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Efl TV highlights deal

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
The best thing about it for me is that weird jazz-tinged theme that's somewhere between the theme to Frasier and the music that used to accompany the Pages from Ceefax that the Beeb used to show before programming started.
It's an odd choice for a football show isn't it?

sign of the chimes

It's an odd choice for a football show isn't it?
I can only assume that those in charge see EFL football as being as niche as jazz/lounge music/telegraph-pole spotting - which might explain their coverage ;-) I'll avoid my usual diatribe about how football in general should have a restraining order out on ITV...

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
There should be a Fan Owned football show !

sign of the chimes

There should be a Fan Owned football show !
I seem to recall that when ITV got the Premier League highlights from the Beeb (when they poached Lynam) that they had a Monday night abomination called 'The Premiershiip Parliament'. It made 'The Tactics Truck' look like a sound idea. Be careful what you wish for GiG ;-)

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster

The FA have sold out and given TNT the rights to the FA Cup from 2025-26 onwards. Whilst there is a statement of intent to have some form of FTA coverage from that season, this feels a backward move from the FA, which imho has really benefitted from having two FTA outlets in the last few years and both of those FTA Outlets essentially having it as their top footballing action and giving huge visibility to the FA Cup.

Last edited:

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I personally still stand by the idea of a worldwide English football app as the best way to generate revenues moving forward. I would scrap the 3pm Blackout rule.

£15 (Average across world for example, so might be £20 in UK, but £10 in France) a month sold to 100m people (About a sixth of English football's average reach) would generate revenue if sold over 10 months, of £15b per annum in TV Revenue alone. Even halving that figure would dwarf the current TV Rights revenues.

In the UK We could then sell some small packages for FTA Outlets such as BBC, ITV etc. to increase visibility for football. I would bundle in every aspect of professional football. SO the app would show every match from the Prem, EFL, National league, league cup, EFL Trophy and FA related comps.

I would then have bundle packages for FTA outlets for bid for, for visibility for football and to help with sponsorship revenues.

Pack 1 - 1 x 3rd choice Premier league match, 1 x 6th Choice Premier league match (All clubs to be shown on FTA at least twice per season) 10 matches from league 2 and EFL Trophy final.
Pack 2 - 1 x 2nd pick Championship match, 1x 5th pick Championship match, 10 matches from league one, 1 x 2nd pick League cup match per round including final and 1 national league match per round
Pack 3 - 1 x All Playoffs for Champ, League one, league two and National league
Pack 4 - 1st and 4th pick FA Cup matches from round 1, 2nd choice Replay match per round, 1st pick semi final and final (Non-exclusive)
Pack 5 - 2nd and 3rd pick FA Cup matches from round 1, 1st pick Replay match, 2nd semi final and Final (Non-exclusive) and community shield.

(I am a little sad me thinks and thought way too hard about it), But I think if football works together you could simply have the content needed to drive it and ensure better wealth distribution whilst ensuring everyone gets richer and this could be used to drive down Ticket prices etc.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I personally still stand by the idea of a worldwide English football app as the best way to generate revenues moving forward. I would scrap the 3pm Blackout rule.

£15 (Average across world for example, so might be £20 in UK, but £10 in France) a month sold to 100m people (About a sixth of English football's average reach) would generate revenue if sold over 10 months, of £15b per annum in TV Revenue alone. Even halving that figure would dwarf the current TV Rights revenues.

In the UK We could then sell some small packages for FTA Outlets such as BBC, ITV etc. to increase visibility for football. I would bundle in every aspect of professional football. SO the app would show every match from the Prem, EFL, National league, league cup, EFL Trophy and FA related comps.

I would then have bundle packages for FTA outlets for bid for, for visibility for football and to help with sponsorship revenues.

Pack 1 - 1 x 3rd choice Premier league match, 1 x 6th Choice Premier league match (All clubs to be shown on FTA at least twice per season) 10 matches from league 2 and EFL Trophy final.
Pack 2 - 1 x 2nd pick Championship match, 1x 5th pick Championship match, 10 matches from league one, 1 x 2nd pick League cup match per round including final and 1 national league match per round
Pack 3 - 1 x All Playoffs for Champ, League one, league two and National league
Pack 4 - 1st and 4th pick FA Cup matches from round 1, 2nd choice Replay match per round, 1st pick semi final and final (Non-exclusive)
Pack 5 - 2nd and 3rd pick FA Cup matches from round 1, 1st pick Replay match, 2nd semi final and Final (Non-exclusive) and community shield.

(I am a little sad me thinks and thought way too hard about it), But I think if football works together you could simply have the content needed to drive it and ensure better wealth distribution whilst ensuring everyone gets richer and this could be used to drive down Ticket prices etc.
I forgot the highlights packages (Doh).

Packs 4 would include the highlights rights to the FA Cup.

Pack 6 - Premier league highlights (MOTD In essence)
Pack 7 - All EFL Highlight packages

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I forgot the highlights packages (Doh).

Packs 4 would include the highlights rights to the FA Cup.

Pack 6 - Premier league highlights (MOTD In essence)
Pack 7 - All EFL Highlight packages
If this happened you would have access to

Every match your team plays.

Overall.

2,949 matches per season via the app.
2,437 exclusive matches via the app (Including 8 prem matches, biggest match round matches, 10 championship matches)
512 non exclusive matches on FTA TV.

Mid Devon Grecian

If this happened you would have access to

Every match your team plays.

Overall.

2,949 matches per season via the app.
2,437 exclusive matches via the app (Including 8 prem matches, biggest match round matches, 10 championship matches)
512 non exclusive matches on FTA TV.
I like your idea. If you’re confident in your product, and I think the Premier League and EFL should be, then why not break the mould and ditch the monopoly/cartel created between Sky and TNT.

I’d want to watch all the City away games as I don’t travel. I’m not particularly interested in the Premier League but I do like the way Liverpool play and might catch a few of their games.

There would be other games I might be interested in like Leeds/Villa where we have ex players in the first team.

Top idea MJP, all you have to do now is sell it to the powers that be…..

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I like your idea. If you’re confident in your product, and I think the Premier League and EFL should be, then why not break the mould and ditch the monopoly/cartel created between Sky and TNT.

I’d want to watch all the City away games as I don’t travel. I’m not particularly interested in the Premier League but I do like the way Liverpool play and might catch a few of their games.

There would be other games I might be interested in like Leeds/Villa where we have ex players in the first team.

Top idea MJP, all you have to do now is sell it to the powers that be…..
I personally don't see any reason why the footballing bodies shouldn't be setting something of this nature up from the end of the next tv deal and to take us in the 2030's.

You might rejig the packages slightly differently in terms of what I have proposed, but the core principle is the right way forward imho.

Simon Jordan on Talksport has proposed this idea on a number of occasions. I personally just see it as the common sense way forward. Football becomes cheaper for fans whom cannot attend, it cuts out the need for illegal steams and they can use the additional money to subsidise tickets for fans within the stadium to make it cheaper for those attending. It is literally a win win situation and football can work out a much better financial settlement for all clubs.

Last edited: