• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 227 59.6%
  • Out

Votes: 154 40.4%

• Total voters

haka

By that logic, the Carlisle job is the safest in world sport!

But obviously it isn't logical at all, different circumstances, different outcomes, etc. In practical terms, Caldwell was given one more transfer window (even if not explicitly stated). It's too soon to be definitive but that appears to have been successful, so he keeps his job.

Average Joe

Sacking Caldwell would have set us back ten years. Probably would have got Kev Nicholson in until that fell apart. Some failure would eventually have been elected, the fan base would still be divided, we'd be in league 2 next season. The Trust would be declared weak and ineffective, City would go back to being a bottom end league team.
This is going to happen any way, just a waiting game.

Let's enjoy league 1 whilst we're here.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is one huge down side…it means we will Never ever, ever Sack a manager ever again now so results for a manager e.g after Caldwell are effectively irrelevant from now on ….which actually to me makes it look weak.
Nonsense. If an ECFC employee gets himself into bother in town late at night then there's no way back.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Until the club’s ‘back not sack’ policy demonstrably fails it’s going to remain in place. No problem with that personally.
Three consecutive seasons in the third tier is us enjoying a purple patch. Enjoy it folks!

arthur

There is one huge down side…it means we will Never ever, ever Sack a manager ever again now so results for a manager e.g after Caldwell are effectively irrelevant from now on ….which actually to me makes it look weak.
An intelligent approach is not to sack a manager simply because of poor results but sack because of the reasons for poor results. This doesn't seem weak to me at all...

Red Bill

There's no getting away from it, the run in the 3 months leading up to Christmas was truly dreadful. The calls for GC to go were completely understandable and the criticisms fully justified. As I said in a previous post, I too had reached the opinion that he should go by December. What I don't understand however, is the apparent opinion by some posters that we should focus solely on this period and ignore the fantastic start and significant upturn in form and league position since boxing day, when assessing the actions or perceived inactions of the board regarding the managers position.

It would appear that even if this run continues and we ended up in the play off places at the end of the season, which would be the club's highest ever finish in the 4 teir era, the board would still have been wrong to back not sack the manager at the end of November. I don't actually think a top 7 finish is likely, but in that hypothetical scenario, it does appear that that would be the view of some posters.

I've never really understood the keenness of some to entrench themselves in a camp, in this case iners and outers. Its OK to change your mind or reassess, it doesn't mean you were wrong before, just that with new evidence and experiences, thing change and its ok to feel differently faced with a different situation. This doesnt mean you cant change back if things go the other way again.
However this seems beyond some. I just don't understand the attitude myself.

arthur

I've never really understood the keenness of some to entrench themselves in a camp, in this case iners and outers. Its OK to change your mind or reassess, it doesn't mean you were wrong before, just that with new evidence and experiences, thing change and its ok to feel differently faced with a different situation. This doesnt mean you cant change back if things go the other way again.
"If the facts change, I change my mind" John Maynard Keynes

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's OK to be wrong about stuff. I don't think it's a great idea to be flipflopping from one thing to another every 5 minutes, but 3 points in 3 months, it's was pretty reasonable to take the view that the manager wasn't the guy to get us out of it, in my opinion. Reasonable isn't the same thing as right though... and he's demonstrated since that he actually CAN get the team playing again, well enough to stick points on the board. Happy days. Have to take your hat off to the decision makers for sticking with him.

STURTZ

Caldwell probably didn't do himself any favours by failing to put any significant blame on our burgeoning injury problems as they happened. Every squad in the EFL is finite and team performance will suffer if enough players are ŕemoved, especially the key players that we lost. Detractors will say we should be able to cope, the reality is we couldn't.

arthur

Caldwell probably didn't do himself any favours by failing to put any significant blame on our burgeoning injury problems as they happened. Every squad in the EFL is finite and team performance will suffer if enough players are ŕemoved, especially the key players that we lost. Detractors will say we should be able to cope, the reality is we couldn't.
He didn't put the blame on anybody iirc, just said he and the players needed to work harder and strive to improve. A marked contrast to one Matthew Taylor who in the past few weeks has said that his players are not strong enough to deal with the fans frustation/anger and that they are unable to cope with "physical" teams from the lower reaches of League 1. Or with one Paul Tisdale who implied that anyone who questioned him and his methods didn't know what they were talking about