• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Port Vale Match day Thread

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Perhaps, though if so it will take time and is anyway not the way I see ECFC.

On a related point, I thought the downstairs bar was dangerously crowded yesterday, not helped by the queuing tapes at the bar which inhibited movement into the lounge. If I was the Health and Safety Officer I'd have closed it down on the spot, I turned around and exited sharpish.
No point in going in there if you want a drink or the outside bar for that matter.

Colesman Ballz

Access to the upstairs bar has always been restricted, everyone can use the downstairs bar.
Once again you are perpetuating an untruth. As from the Trust takeover access was NOT restricted, and as I outlined in my previous post, the wristband system was only brought in several seasons later under the auspices of the then Commercial Director, along with his "dress code" prohibiting adults from wearing replica shirts. I regularly drank in that bar, until those changes, when I "voted with my feet" and relocated downstairs. I was offered a wristband due to my status at that time in the Trust, but declined the offer on principle.

Great result against poor opposition, but as my father used to say, 'you only play as well as you are allowed to'. I thought Vale were poor in May until they scored and then effectively shut up shop. They clearly missed James Wilson and were mostly impotent up front. Harry's strike was brilliant and the third a good team goal. Regarding the penalty the referee was in a superb position to see what happened and their players didn't seem to protest much. Jamal had a good debut, dominating the six yard box and looks more than adequate to replace Cam. Jamal's distribution with many low trajectory clearances was also effective(though he was nearly caught out on one occasion) as it gave Sam a better chance of winning headers, which he did. Finally, with six Academy players starting and another coming on shows what a good place our club is in.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Once again you are perpetuating an untruth. As from the Trust takeover access was NOT restricted, and as I outlined in my previous post, the wristband system was only brought in several seasons later under the auspices of the then Commercial Director, along with his "dress code" prohibiting adults from wearing replica shirts. I regularly drank in that bar, until those changes, when I "voted with my feet" and relocated downstairs. I was offered a wristband due to my status at that time in the Trust, but declined the offer on principle.
Your take is different from mine. I was on the Trust board for 10 or so years, during which time I never frequented the upstairs bar, and never had a wristband. Reasonably certain that, as far as the overwhelming majority of supporters, myself included, are concerned, access to the upstairs bar has always been restricted.

FWIW, I’m slightly confused. If, as you suggest, you’re all for absolute equality why did you routinely choose to drink in the upstairs bar?

tavyred

Looks like the upstairs bar was a bit of a liggers paradise and the club quite rightly has clamped down on it. 👍

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Perhaps, though if so it will take time and is anyway not the way I see ECFC.
I don’t disagree. My point is that I’d rather admission to the upstairs bar is restricted to those paying handsomely into the club’s coffers for the privilege than those who are paying no more than you or me but whose faces fit.

iscalad

Sorry for my ignorance but who are they? And this £195 charge how does this work? Only ever been up there for hospitality once (big bank for me normally), this seems an odd decision all round
I was told by a member of Camra, at the match yesterday. It's been held at SJP, in January, for a number of years.
No idea what this £195 charge is.

Colesman Ballz

Your take is different from mine. I was on the Trust board for 10 or so years, during which time I never frequented the upstairs bar, and never had a wristband. Reasonably certain that, as far as the overwhelming majority of supporters, myself included, are concerned, access to the upstairs bar has always been restricted.

FWIW, I’m slightly confused. If, as you suggest, you’re all for absolute equality why did you routinely choose to drink in the upstairs bar?
I was serving on the Trust Board with you ! For what it's worth my drinking habits tended to be downstairs prematch, upstairs postmatch, which enabled me to be accessible to a wider selection of Trust members. I didn't like the direction that was being taken upstairs so stopped going there, simples !

iscalad

As far as I'm concerned anything between £4 and £5 per pint is about the going rate. We're not living in the 1990s.
I bow to your greater knowledge. I rarely go to pubs, except for a meal. Was In The Jolly Brise (Teignmouth Wetherspoons) on Thursday where the alcohol is included in the meal price.

iscalad

I was serving on the Trust Board with you ! For what it's worth my drinking habits tended to be downstairs prematch, upstairs postmatch, which enabled me to be accessible to a wider selection of Trust members. I didn't like the direction that was being taken upstairs so stopped going there, simples !
So am I to think that the reason you could use the upstairs bar was because you were on the Trust Board? Not because you were an ordinary supporter like most of us.