• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Youth 21/22

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
It is a huge leap form Cat 3 to Cat 2.

You need a 2/3 size covered pitch, serious infrastructure buildings, and many more coaches and other support staff. Last time I read it was at least £500K a year more plus major capital costs, though you do then get loads of dosh from the PL.

Not a runner IMO.
I agree, we seem to be doing really well running our current model, it was just surprising to see Colchester in the Professional Development League on the back of their financial problems last year, running the academy at this level probably adding to them.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ah that explains it, except Colchester being category two, but I see they have been category 2 since 2012 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colchester_United_F.C._Under-23s_and_Academy.

I know it has been discussed and unlikely to happen until the improvements to the training ground but how far are we off Academy two status and what extra costs. Also in view of the alleged rise in status of the cornish greenies is it a viable proposition to pursue
This raises a good point about seeking category two status. If Colchester have been category two for nine years then why aren't they raking in more in transfer fees than us?

Is becoming category two actually worthwhile?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
This raises a good point about seeking category two status. If Colchester have been category two for nine years then why aren't they raking in more in transfer fees than us?

Is becoming category two actually worthwhile?
That's my thoughts as well, if we can fend off the premier wolves like we have done with Sonny and Harry, there isn't much going for upgrading as long as we continue the conveyor belt, with seven figure sales and add ons.

There is though the option of playing regularly in the development league but that doesn't seem to have done Colchester that much good, if anything it could highlight our talent sooner rather later to other clubs. Also you do get more money if the 'wolves' are successful in enticing your youth away. No doubt the club regularly review the position

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
The opportunity Pete has been waiting for, he best check that he can Zoom from Arizona but ideal opp for the lad

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster

a team and bench that seems equally split between first and second year scholars.

Using the helpful list at post 32 of this thread the unfamiliar names are Max Edgecombe and (on the bench) Lewis McNab.

Grecian2K

and (on the bench) Lewis McNab.
No relation to the totally unlamented "Neil" I hope (once, but mercifully briefly) of the St Sidwell's parish, who partly left a mess it took more than a decade to rescue.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
No relation to the totally unlamented "Neil" I hope (once, but mercifully briefly) of the St Sidwell's parish, who partly left a mess it took more than a decade to rescue.
Not to absolve him from blame entirely but he inherited a decade-long mess Shirley?

Rosencrantz

Not to absolve him from blame entirely but he inherited a decade-long mess Shirley?
Well apart from not putting the sins of the Father on their children (not withstanding that there is probably little chance of any relationship here that anyone is aware of so far), but Neil walked into a situation which was way out of his depth already, and probably of most inexperienced, would be manager's. Classic case of wrong man, wrong place, definitely wrong time.

Having said that, two more weeks of Gary Peters and even not sacking Cornforth would have probably seen us not relegated. But then, would Pinky and Perky have been dealt with as quickly and how much more, possibly terminal, damage could they have done on top of years of mismanagement? Definitely for another thread and probably been done to death in the past anyway.

As for young Lewis, I'm guessing an u16 or possibly someone we have picked up on exit trials like Cheick? Max Edgecombe is, I am fairly sure, an u16.

GrecianHarry

Using the helpful list at post 32 of this thread the unfamiliar names are Max Edgecombe and (on the bench) Lewis McNab.
[/QUOTE]
Both U16s

GrecianHarry

Full Squad Analysis:

Andrew Sowden - First Year Scholar
Harrison King - First Year Scholar
Toby Nevile - Second Year Scholar
Zeph Collins - Second Year Scholar
Max Edgecombe - U16s
Michael Lilley - Second Year Scholar
Gabriel Billington - First Year Scholar
Eli Collins - Second Year Scholar
Alfie Clark - First Year Scholar
Charlie Hanson - Second Year Scholar
Jamie Nicholson - Second Year Scholar

Subs:
Joe O’Connor - First Year Scholar
Lewis McNab - U16s
Ed James - First Year Scholar
Joe Wragg - Second Year Scholar
Mitch Beardmore - First Year Scholar

Two U16s and also two players who have made their professional debuts.

Also Andrew Sowden was warming up with Lee and Brown last week before the U23 match.