• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Bristol Rovers Match Day Thread

Red Bill

That first 25-30 minutes was the best i've seen us play for ages.
There will be people who say Rovers were poor, but they just looked poor because we were so good!
Every one of our players was great, but a special mention for Brown Hartridge Dawson and Kite, who ö thought had that something extra special.
Rover were better second half but we looked so comfortable we just didn't need to be as good as we were in the first half.
I was a bit unsure about Ray when I saw him in the Bath PSF, but him and Hartridge together looked like a winning combination to me today.
I was also worried about Josh Key and worried that he was a one season wonder after his first couple of games this season, but today I thought he was back to his impressive best. If Nombe hadn't missed the last couple of games i'm sure he would have tucked away that chance from Hosh's fantastic weaving run and cross near the end of the game!
I'm one very happy Grecian as I drunkenly head back home on the train to TM!!!
UTC!

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
How would you line up the eight behind them?
Good question and I'm not sure whether to stick with the current formation or go back to good, old 4-4-2. Either way it would mean leaving one or both of Jay and Brown out. As I said earlier, both stamped their mark on the game today so it would be hard decision to make.

Rosencrantz

Bit late and I am probably going to repeat a lot of what has already been said.

I thought our performance, in the first half particularly, all led off of the intelligent, hard running of Amond. The first goal was a prime example of Podge just gambling on something dropping his way. It has been a while since we have had this type of striker. He was a threat in behind all of his time on the pitch which created the space that JB and MJ revelled in. A goal would have topped off a quality display for Podge and he was unlucky on a couple of occasions in the first half.

It was also noticeable that both Josh and Jake played higher up the pitch. It looked like it would be an interesting match up initially, with Rovers also playing wing backs, but in Harry Anderson and Alex Rodman were both normally known as being more wing than back. So it was great to see Josh and Jake take them both back into their own half where they didn't want to be and it showed. Both Josh and Jake had a hand or two in the goals today and both came close to scoring themselves. Josh's would have been a goal of the season contender in the second half. Easily the best game Jake has had in a City shirt today.

Harry and Timmy did well in midfield with Harry sitting and Tim being box to box. As good as Harry's goal was it was also great to see a City midfielder attacking the six yard box from a cross in open play as Tim did for his goal. He has threatened a few times already this season from similar moves and got his reward today. Whilst Tim is not as creative as some would like for a box to box player, he is very tidy with the ball and a physical presence. It's also clear he is not yet 100% fit and there is more to come. A good signing.

Rovers, despite being dragged around in their own half were more than decent going forward. We had to keep on our toes at the back and Cammy pulled off some good saves, nothing he could do with their consolation. The back three again looked pretty solid with Hartridge I thought the pick with a dominant display.

With a few players coming back, the bench looked stronger today although it was clear from the last half hour or so the energy is still not there yet with the problems we have had. That should get better with time and a relatively clear run, hopefully Nige isn't too bad. With players like Collins, Sparkes, Coley and Stubbs (I know) along with hopefully a couple more coming in and all of a sudden the group looks strong and you are leaving some decent players out of the matchday squad. Hopefully this is the season of patience being the Mother of all virtue.

Rosencrantz

Good question and I'm not sure whether to stick with the current formation or go back to good, old 4-4-2. Either way it would mean leaving one or both of Jay and Brown out. As I said earlier, both stamped their mark on the game today so it would be hard decision to make.
A high quality problem :)

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Worry was Caprice at left midfield, he did alright but we would be so much better with a natural left footer.
Or play Key on the left. I'm sure he'd adapt better to playing on the wrong side and is more likely to find himself with a shooting chance, certainly on today's evidence.

Grecian_Matt

Absolute quality performance first half..
We could of been 7-0 up by half time and missed a couple more in the 2nd half.

It does seem Amond has added extra to our attack and provides the movement needed to create a decent amount of chances.

I doubted the signing of Cameron Dawson at the start of the season, but today he made some top quality saves and looks to be an incredibly good signing.

Only issue with today's game is although he had a good game - Occasionally Caprice looked a uncomfortable playing left back with him being so right footed.
Maybe he will improve, but against a top team, I feel they will exploit this weakness.

I just hope this game spurs us on and we now don't look poor next game.

ExmouthMart

That is a stunning finish by Matt Jay. Overrated?! God help us……

arthur

Or play Key on the left. I'm sure he'd adapt better to playing on the wrong side and is more likely to find himself with a shooting chance, certainly on today's evidence.
I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Jake to be relieved of the LWB role. We are talking Matt Taylor here, the man who played a right winger as Left Wing Back in a Play off final despite having a left footed LWB, LB and LCB all at his disposal on the subs bench

Rosencrantz

That is a stunning finish by Matt Jay. Overrated?! God help us……
Great pick out by Josh Key as well. I was right behind that sitting in the Stanno Stand and Josh didn't just play it into an area, he looked up and saw MJ's run. Great finish as well. Good goal alround.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Great pick out by Josh Key as well. I was right behind that sitting in the Stanno Stand and Josh didn't just play it into an area, he looked up and saw MJ's run. Great finish as well. Good goal alround.
Goal made in Exeter then !
UTC & The Academy