• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Truro City vs Exeter City Pre-season Friendly - Tues 3 Aug 7.30pm

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Did anyone go to the match and able to report back?

Grecian_Nick

Went with the youngster last night. We also went to the Tiverton game at start of pre-season but impossible to compare as we started with a close to 1st team at Tivvy whilst last night only Dieng and Grounds likely to start on Saturday, and both back up to injuries. In short this looked like an organised Truro first team against a makeshift Exeter team - just what it was. Not a lot of chances at either end - so was much more focussed on individual players. A few worthy of mention:

Stand out for us was Jordan Dyer in Centre of a back 3 - looked strong and commanding. Personally I expect him to get a chance this season and expect him to make an impact

First time I had seen Ellis Johnson play for more than a few minutes and definite potential - started on right of a back 3 and then moved to right midfield (with Caprice at right back) when we made some changes later on. Definitely looked a bit green and in need of more games - so loan might be the right approach - but potential both defensively and coming forwards

Grounds seemed fine and solid at left of a back 3 - nothing special but didn't do much wrong either. Obviously will be interesting to see him tested (if he plays instead of Hartridge) against Bradford and a better quality attack

I continue to be nervous of Rowe - don't feel he has improved much from the Tivvy game. Some good runs down the left at times, but still seemed to get lost a bit too often and in need of more experience/confidence. Personally I would still play Sparkes as first choice left wing back.

Dieng was another 'fine' - didn't do a lot wrong but didn't see anything to excite either. Presuming Attangana will be first choice on Saturday with Collins out a toss up between Dieng and Kite for 2nd CM slot - personally I'd go with Kite for the extra energy and movement he brings.

Trialist/Chris Clements - Nothing to get excited about and if he does sign will be very much a 'needs must' which is even more of a worry as clearly not match fit. As with any trialist was trying hard to impress - made a couple of good interceptions to break up play but also gave the ball away sloppily at least once.

James Dodd - saw him against Tiverton and was impressed and that continued today - lots of energy and movement. Can see him as back up to Jay/Brown in behind Nombe - would like to see him given a chance (from the bench) in one of those slots.

Not much to say new on any of Harry Lee (didn't have much to do but made a couple of good saves and very vocal for one so young), Caprice (he does what he does - solid back up to Key), Seymour (no real impact on the game bar the 2 offside finishes).

Jack Veale came on with 30 mins or so to go and bought some more good energy to midfield. Lots of short tidy passes, can see him getting a chance from the bench (but behind Harry Kite) as season progresses.

One more interesting cameo - Charlie Hanson - who some of us (me included) thought might be the trialist as someone we didn't recognise in the warm up. Turns out we signed him a year ago as a scholar from Charlton. For his age a big, strong striker - didn't have long enough to make a real impact and looked like he needs to play more, so a loan could well be another on his way for a loan.

Overall not much of a match and can't read anything in this game for Saturday - but as others have said on multiple thread, suggests strength n depth is lacking and we again need some more youngsters to step up this year (or some good late signings/loans)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Went with the youngster last night. We also went to the Tiverton game at start of pre-season but impossible to compare as we started with a close to 1st team at Tivvy whilst last night only Dieng and Grounds likely to start on Saturday, and both back up to injuries. In short this looked like an organised Truro first team against a makeshift Exeter team - just what it was. Not a lot of chances at either end - so was much more focussed on individual players. A few worthy of mention:

Stand out for us was Jordan Dyer in Centre of a back 3 - looked strong and commanding. Personally I expect him to get a chance this season and expect him to make an impact
Thanks for this. I thought Jordan Dyer also did well in the game against Bristol City but that was such a strange game it was hard to be sure how well he'd actually done.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster

Keeper should have got that! Very poor from that distance.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
welcome back Pete!

DawlishBouy

Harry Lee's career - R.I.P.

Ash

Keeper should have got that! Very poor from that distance.
Hugely surprising response! But actually I agree 🙂

AmberRed

Think you've got to look at the defending more than the keeper!!

Maxi08

Think you've got to look at the defending more than the keeper!!
The defending was non existent, and Lee made two good saves , he’s young and that was his first game in front of fans , kept the score down against Bristol city and its a learning curve for him now 👍