• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

European 'Super League' and ECFC

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bunter now blathering on about “no action off the table to block” this new league. As these clubs are private businesses and not state agencies what right does he have to be poking his nose in ?

Covid authoritarianism gone to his head or just more grandstanding ?

I don’t particularly like this new league but the idea that it can be stopped by useless politicians is for the birds.

sidney

I think the Big Six are weaker than they think. And I believe that the loyalty of their support is not as strong as is imagined. Many supporters are not fanatical and many endorse Big Six clubs as a second preference after their home town outfit. I can envisage a large proportion of the 'prawn sandwich' brigade shifting support to mainstream PL clubs. European football is attractive as an infrequent alternative to regular PL football, but I am not sure it is intrinsically better than the everyday fare. Allegiance can be fickle, and time may show that some of these 'world brands' are not quite the profit generators some believe. Brands can be fragile things: they can lose their value very quickly.

onemansview

My home is Chesterfield but my heart is in Tokyo
Bunter now blathering on about “no action off the table to block” this new league. As these clubs are private businesses and not state agencies what right does he have to be poking his nose in ?

Covid authoritarianism gone to his head or just more grandstanding ?

I don’t particularly like this new league but the idea that it can be stopped by useless politicians is for the birds.
Never works when the Tories try to get down with the common man- wish they'd stick to their own sports like Real Tennis and the Eton Wall game!

Colesman Ballz

Never works when the Tories try to get down with the common man- wish they'd stick to their own sports like Real Tennis and the Eton Wall game!
My first reaction is to ask what c**k up are they trying to divert attention away from now ? :unsure:

Nigel E

Aways days at Motherwell and St Mirren for us.
Ross County away, now *that* would be a trip.

Still think that the transfer of Tillson to Ross County could be the longest distance transfer inside Great Britain.

ExmouthMart

Perhaps we could start our own super league with Unión Deportiva Ibiza. Now that’s an away trip....... 😎

Nigel E

The development of the Premier League and Champions League was always going to lead us to this point, once the money got big enough to interest the billionaires.

If it goes ahead, I can't see the Super League remaining solely European for very long. And if you look at the domain name and logo of the Super League you won't find the word "Europe" in it.

I would expect some of the English sides to be re-located eventually, nearer to where their new fan bases are (China and the Middle East). For a start, Chelsea can't develop Stamford Bridge and will need to move to keep pace with the others. Abramovich may feel he can move them to Moscow, and the owners of the Bridge will be sitting on a real estate fortune that can then be realised.

Alistair20000

The development of the Premier League and Champions League was always going to lead us to this point, once the money got big enough to interest the billionaires.

If it goes ahead, I can't see the Super League remaining solely European for very long. And if you look at the domain name and logo of the Super League you won't find the word "Europe" in it.

I would expect some of the English sides to be re-located eventually, nearer to where their new fan bases are (China and the Middle East). For a start, Chelsea can't develop Stamford Bridge and will need to move to keep pace with the others. Abramovich may feel he can move them to Moscow, and the owners of the Bridge will be sitting on a real estate fortune that can then be realised.
And baldy at NWHT has been getting the NFL involved there

ExmouthMart

So Pete Winkelman was a visionary after all......

Colesman Ballz

Can't see many options in the Middle East that Daniel Levy would be happy moving Tottenham to however, even though he might have one of his ESL buddies happy to buy the Lane for an NFL franchise ! 😎