• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Colchester United v Exeter City Matchday Thread

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm a big, big fan of Jack Sparkes and I'm sure he'll get lots of game time between now and the end of the season. However, that combination of Page and Randall on the left is so good and hopefully we'll have lots of opportunity to get them on the pitch together.

Boyo

I believe that's the second time in the past 9 months or so that Colchester have sacked their manager after losing to us.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Meanwhile, Bradford took the opposite approach. The only team to defeat Sellars and Trueman in their 11 games as interim managers were City but they were still given the job full-time.

onemansview

My home is Chesterfield but my heart is in Tokyo
Back in the play-off semi final against Colchester, Ben Seymour was sprinting down the middle of the pitch and all it needed was for Ryan Bowman to pass to him and he would have had a simple tap-in to score his first senior goal and send City to Wembley; unfortunately Ryan didn't see him but luckily he scored a belter of a goal himself. How ironic, then, that after another 8 months of waiting his first league goal finally comes against the same team and he only got his chance in the team because Ryan was suspended.
Karma!

Red Bill

Just watched last night's game, how the hell didn't Chilvers get sent off at the end of the first half? He jumped into his man, lead with his elbow and caught Parkes in the face, exactly why Bowman is out for 3 games!

Don't know if anyone was screaming about this at the time but all those who felt Bowman's red was fully justified last week really should have been!

budegrecian

Just watched last night's game, how the hell didn't Chilvers get sent off at the end of the first half? He jumped into his man, lead with his elbow and caught Parkes in the face, exactly why Bowman is out for 3 games!

Don't know if anyone was screaming about this at the time but all those who felt Bowman's red was fully justified last week really should have been!
You'll see, way back in the thread, that there were a few of us highlighting this at the time.
For me it was worse than Bowman's.

Red Bill

You'll see, way back in the thread, that there were a few of us highlighting this at the time.
Couldn't be bothered to read the whole thread but not surprised some were shouting. I agree it was worse than Bowman's, much worse IMO.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
And similar to what Matt Taylor said at the time; if you're going to send Bowman off for that type of challenge then a couple of Newport players should also have been sent off for similar challenges.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I agree about the first paragraph. Nobody can coach a goalkeeper to kick a ball properly. Either he can kick a ball comfortably, or he cant. Its not something he can learn. The obvious fact is that he's totally left footed, and in last nights game he couldnt relay very well on that one! He was lucky not to get punished twice with clearances that wound up at the feet of opposition players. Luckily they weren't expecting that kind of gift! Andresson's command of the goal area is outstanding, better than Ward or Maxted. We can only hope this kicking issue is going to work out eventually.
It's an issue that can be rectified with practice and adjustment. Chloe had a small problem with her finishing and all it took was watching her for a bit, a couple of minor adjustments and practice and it's opened up her range of finishing. It's nothing that couldn't be done with Jokkull with his kicking.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
There has rightly been a lot of praise for the way Ben Seymour took his goal. However, looking back at the highlights he played a big part in the first goal as well - his pass to Josh Key was sensational; he's clearly learnt well from training with the likes of Nicky Law and MJ.