• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Premier League to assist lower leagues

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think the owners of those clubs got together and thought they could somehow turn our game into the Americans idea of "Sports" and this project was the start of it. If it has been agreed the next thing would be more "MK Don's" franchising clubs to the highest bidder, Making tickets so expensive that only certain people could afford them. Then calling the PL winners "World Champions" They saw a chance while this virus is causing so much havoc and clubs are desperate for money to change the face of football in this country to their idea where a few clubs take even more money than they do now at the expense of others.
Listening to the Price of Football podcast today Kieran Maguire seems convinced the big clubs still want to expand the Champions League and that the only way to fit in the extra fixtures is by scrapping the League Cup and cutting the Premiership to 18 clubs; clearly neither of these would be good for City.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Listening to the Price of Football podcast today Kieran Maguire seems convinced the big clubs still want to expand the Champions League and that the only way to fit in the extra fixtures is by scrapping the League Cup and cutting the Premiership to 18 clubs; clearly neither of these would be good for City.
Can't see how expanding the CL would affect us, Cutting the PL number from 20 to 18 will affect maybe for a couple of seasons, The main thing for all divisions is to keep promotion and relegation, As for scrapping the League Cup, I wouldn't do that, I'd scrap the EFL Trophy and keep the League Cup, That means the cup is just for the FL. Let's be honest, The EFL trophy is unless you get anywhere close to the final is very low down on clubs radar, Most put out fringe and youth players for the early rounds and attendances are very poor, Probably costs more to run the stadium than the amount of fans that attend. The PL treat the League Cup the same way as we treat the EFL trophy if they want out then fair enough.

Boyo

The big six in the PL want fewer league matches and no league cup, but I bet that view is not shared by the other 14 clubs. Not only would they be missing out of reduced matchday revenue they'd also receive less through a reduced TV deal. Fewer matches = smaller TV deal.

From our perspective the reduction in the professional game from 92 to 90 clubs hopefully wouldn't impact us too much. And I like the idea above of the League Cup becoming the EFL, which excludes the PL teams.

Whereas I am dead against B Teams, I think the EFL Trophy is valuable for us. Whereas any extra matchday income is welcome, the prize money on offer is decent, but more important than money is the experience it's gives our fringe and youth players. The exposure that those youngsters have had in the last couple of years in the Trophy is really paying dividends now, with so many of them stepping up to first team contention.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Haven't read anything too much on this as I don't bother much with the premier league but my thoughts are this

1) Any grants distributed should be pro rata on average attendances per club, be silly giving Morecambe the same as Bradford as Bradford have lost more income due to Covid

2) Loans will have to be repaid so is this really a generous offer, could be acting as lender of last resort and if this is the case then why call them loans as more than likely they will be written off.

3) With loan repayments to those that survive this will have to come from income when the crowds are back so expect increases in entrance fees when we are allowed back

4) With regards to the "Big 6", why not let them bugger off to their European League, and leave the remainder of the premiersh1te with what will be left of the EFL and National league after Covid. As generous as £50 million (or is it £77m) sounds spread amongst the 48 league 1 & 2 clubs over a season it's not going to stop a lot of the car crashes that were and are now more than likely to happen, how many of the remaining 14 premier sides 72 EFL sides and 23 National league sides will be left to form say five leagues of twenty perhaps. To be seen

DB9

Haven't read anything too much on this as I don't bother much with the premier league but my thoughts are this

1) Any grants distributed should be pro rata on average attendances per club, be silly giving Morecambe the same as Bradford as Bradford have lost more income due to Covid

2) Loans will have to be repaid so is this really a generous offer, could be acting as lender of last resort and if this is the case then why call them loans as more than likely they will be written off.

3) With loan repayments to those that survive this will have to come from income when the crowds are back so expect increases in entrance fees when we are allowed back

4) With regards to the "Big 6", why not let them bugger off to their European League, and leave the remainder of the premiersh1te with what will be left of the EFL and National league after Covid. As generous as £50 million (or is it £77m) sounds spread amongst the 48 league 1 & 2 clubs over a season it's not going to stop a lot of the car crashes that were and are now more than likely to happen, how many of the remaining 14 premier sides 72 EFL sides and 23 National league sides will be left to form say five leagues of twenty perhaps. To be seen
With regards to number 4, The money from TV deals would be hugely reduced if the "Big 6" buggered off to form a European Super League because that is where Sky, BT, Amazon etc would want a slice of and they would pay huge money for those rights. As a product at the moment it's the PL as it is today that sells, A PL without the bigger teams would not be such a sellable product, It's about audiences etc and rights across the world, The big teams have huge followings in Asia and China, That's why they watch it, Not because Brighton are playing Burnley, The Championship doesn't get anywhere near that interest abroad, We might enjoy it but the domestic interest won't be enough for TV companies to she'll out the billions they do now. It would offer vastly reduced terms and our slice of it in L2 would be much smaller than it is today.

Boyo

With regards to number 4, The money from TV deals would be hugely reduced if the "Big 6" buggered off to form a European Super League because that is where Sky, BT, Amazon etc would want a slice of and they would pay huge money for those rights. As a product at the moment it's the PL as it is today that sells, A PL without the bigger teams would not be such a sellable product, It's about audiences etc and rights across the world, The big teams have huge followings in Asia and China, That's why they watch it, Not because Brighton are playing Burnley, The Championship doesn't get anywhere near that interest abroad, We might enjoy it but the domestic interest won't be enough for TV companies to she'll out the billions they do now. It would offer vastly reduced terms and our slice of it in L2 would be much smaller than it is today.
Spot on.
The other issue is that there wouldn't be space for 6 clubs from one country to compete in a European Super League. An expanded Champions League that requires qualification by domestic ranking is the only way it would work. The irony of an expanded Champions League is that in essence the product is being watered down and it becomes less appealing to your average punter.

Red Bill

Not everyone supports Manchester United or indeed is interested in football at that level contrary to what the media thinks.
I'm afraid this is totally beyond the comprehension of anyone in the Premier League and all football pundits. I was talking to someone recently and after I told him I was a keen football fan he immediately started talking about MotD and the Premier league, when I told him I never watched MotD and couldn't care less about the Premier league, he looked at me like I was an alien and didn't seem to be able to process that information!

DB9

Spot on.
The other issue is that there wouldn't be space for 6 clubs from one country to compete in a European Super League. An expanded Champions League that requires qualification by domestic ranking is the only way it would work. The irony of an expanded Champions League is that in essence the product is being watered down and it becomes less appealing to your average punter.
Exactly right, Also trying to keep calling it The "Champions League" would look stupid, Even more than it does now, Back in the day, The European Cup was solely for Champions of the various leagues across Europe, Not the top four. Also in domestic leagues to qualify for Europe, Whether CL or Europa is the exciting bit, If a European League is formed what are the winners goal? To keep winning a league where there is no promotion or relegation and where winning it means you don't enter a even more top competition, Perhaps they'll expand that awful World Club Championship? Being held in a country where the quality of football is on L1 par at best and because that countries FA paid the most?

Antony Moxey

I'm afraid this is totally beyond the comprehension of anyone in the Premier League and all football pundits. I was talking to someone recently and after I told him I was a keen football fan he immediately started talking about MotD and the Premier league, when I told him I never watched MotD and couldn't care less about the Premier league, he looked at me like I was an alien and didn't seem to be able to process that information!
Yes. ‘Who do you support?’
’Exeter City’
’Yes but who do you support in the Premier League?’

Can‘t tell you how many times I’ve had that conversation.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
As for scrapping the League Cup, I wouldn't do that, I'd scrap the EFL Trophy and keep the League Cup, That means the cup is just for the FL.
I've been saying this for years.