• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Bring back Aaron Martin thread!

Sarcy Sid

It's been mentioned in a number of other threads in passing so thought this was worth one of its own. We all know we're light in the CB department and many have stated that Aaron is the obvious choice to fill the void. We know what he did for us last season and for my money he wasn't far off being our player of the season. Ever present, solid in defence, good in the air, made some goal saving last ditch tackles and chipped in with a few goals the other end. For a CB he certainly wasn't the slowest player either and also looked confident on the ball when playing out of defence. He's available and knows our set up and would appear to be better than what we currently have. What's not to like!

So, bring back Aaron Martin...Yes or No?

Its a definite Yes from me to kick us off.

Boyo

It's been mentioned in a number of other threads in passing so thought this was worth one of its own. We all know we're light in the CB department and many have stated that Aaron is the obvious choice to fill the void. We know what he did for us last season and for my money he wasn't far off being our player of the season. Ever present, solid in defence, good in the air, made some goal saving last ditch tackles and chipped in with a few goals the other end. For a CB he certainly wasn't the slowest player either and also looked confident on the ball when playing out of defence. He's available and knows our set up and would appear to be better than what we currently have. What's not to like!

So, bring back Aaron Martin...Yes or No?

Its a definite Yes from me to kick us off.
I don't get the obsession with Aaron Martin. Seems like a lovely bloke, but not dominant at all in the air and too slow. The fact he hasn't been snapped up elsewhere reinforces these points IMO.

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
Watch out , watch out , there’s A Proper Chap about.

i8cornwall

Yes from me, only because he knows the team, club and systems so wouldn’t need time to bed in so to speak.

Reactions: Ash

IndoMike

I think there are two problems :
1. Matt released several players on the basis that their contract had finished. That was his principle. To go back on that might seem unfair to the others.
2. Some people have said that Matt was never quite satisfied with Martin's performances. That's only rumour but sometimes it did come across that way a little bit

I would take Martin back on a year's contract if he wanted it, but only if there is not a better option - preferably a young, solid CB from a PL or Ch club. We''re definitely light at CB.

andrew p long

If I were the manager I would have looked carefully at this option. And I really hope for Aaron’s sake,his family and newborn child, that he isn’t out of work much longer, especially after the sacrifices he and his family made in lockdown to try to get ECFC promoted.

But I am not the manager and I place my trust in the manager to use his judgment ( and budget) wisely in the best interests of the club.

Moomin Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
He won’t come back...I don’t get why people think there’s a chance of resigning him?

Matt released him and he didn’t even offer him a contract, when he could have, even if that was on reduced terms. He deliberately wanted to sign someone who he felt was a dominant centre back, which is why he brought in McArdle.

I am surprised he’s not turned up anywhere yet though. I don’t think he’s even been on trial as far as I know?

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've been a big fan of his and thought the Moxey-Martin partnership worked well for us in most games last season. Then the play-off final came and they were the worst two players on the pitch for me. His final interview did seem to indicate he was unhappy with the manager at the end and I'd be surprised to see that relationship rekindled.

older-codger

I've been a big fan of his and thought the Moxey-Martin partnership worked well for us in most games last season. Then the play-off final came and they were the worst two players on the pitch for me. His final interview did seem to indicate he was unhappy with the manager at the end and I'd be surprised to see that relationship rekindled.
Bear in mind that both had been told they were leaving so it's no surprise

jimbo-gould

No chance. He isn’t physical enough. Could be the reason we played at three rather than back four last season. A good player in a three, but as a partnership it’s too lightweight, despite him being a giant.