• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The threat of Coronavirus to ECFC

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
When a company uses the term "organisational restructure" it normally means there are job losses coming

Legohead

Banned
Probably to pay the players an increase in wages due to promotion. Wouldn't put it past them.

Grecian2K

Probably to pay the players an increase in wages due to promotion. Wouldn't put it past them.
And the manager as well??

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
They say 60% of their turnover comes from matchdays. Our percentage is probably lower as we have smaller attendances, maybe around half. But it shows the problem.

If L2 restarts on 12th September (currently seems to be the favourite) and with attendances limited to 25 or 30% of capacity until 2021, it's hard to see how most L2 clubs including us can make this work.

Oldsmobile-88

They say 60% of their turnover comes from matchdays. Our percentage is probably lower as we have smaller attendances, maybe around half. But it shows the problem.

If L2 restarts on 12th September (currently seems to be the favourite) and with attendances limited to 25 or 30% of capacity until 2021, it's hard to see how most L2 clubs including us can make this work.
A big problem at SJP will be the lack of corporate/conferencing income during the week & of course the hospitality on match days if as expected restrictions are in place for the foreseeable future.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder what our break even attendance is. Assuming it's around 2k then is this number of people possible to attend SJP and remain 1m apart. No away fans will allow for a bit more space. 1 in every 3 seats could be used in the seated areas. Probably not feasible but just writing as I think. I suppose ST holders would create the issue as they have already paid. :unsure:

Legohead

Banned
I think a number of steps can be taken to negate the coronavirus restrictions somewhat but I've always maintained that unless we are back to full crowds and hospitality etc then it's unviable to not only start the season but to operate as a functioning business.

Having a fraction of the amount of fans in maybe workable but ultimately financially unviable and that is the crux of the matter.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
If we can cover fixed costs then it's financially viable in the short term.

Alistair20000

If we can cover fixed costs then it's financially viable in the short term.
Given JW's post 864 above this might be a very huge if.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
According to their published accounts, in 2019/19 only 20% (£1m) of FGR's turnover came from matchday income narrowly defined - the rest of the £5M was from for other sources, presumably a very large chunk in the form of donations from Mr Vince and indirectly his Ecotricity customers. (my spell check wanted to make this eccentricity, I was tempted to leave it...:D)

Explains why they were so keen to finish off the season behind closed doors and how they can be competitive with average attendances not much more than 2,500.

Their supporters must pray every day that he doesn't lose interest.