• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Craig Woodman

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
Always thought he was a solid lower division left back - had a very bad spell earlier this season and some of the stick he got on social media and to a lesser on here was way over the top and was really quite nasty.
For him to keep going and put in the performances he is currently doing gets my respect and shows what he is made of.
Well done Woody and keep it going (y)

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
I could give you a list of players who, over the years, would have been cast offs if the majority on exeweb had its way, only to become essential starters later. Even Harley occupied that position.

When we lose a game, or a few, people want to blame it on someone, usually the manager and one or two players, but when we win everyone is exempt from that. So much better to have a few dodgy performances when we're winning as that will keep you under the radar. Woodman was involved in mistakes in several goals that went against us last season, but the defence was too often horribly exposed by a very shaky central midfield (mainly cos Noble and Harley weren't available). It's much easier playing in defence for us this season than it was last season. Woodman is very good going forward and a good passer/crosser of the ball, but we didn't have possession in critical areas much last season.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
It's much easier playing in defence for us this season than it was last season.
Incidentally, this is where I'd give a lot of credit to someone else who has been a "target" this season - Lloyd James. He does so much of the often unseen "dirty work" that prevents teams creating chances against us.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
What an odd City career Woodman's had. A laughing stock at times, Franz Beckenbauer at others. The reality is somewhere in the middle! Still, another long-serving player who has seen highs and lows in a City shirt.

Some excellent moments (that goal Vs Scunny) and he became a real leader on the pitch for us in latter years. I'll miss his non-celebrations.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
What an odd City career Woodman's had. A laughing stock at times, Franz Beckenbauer at others. The reality is somewhere in the middle! Still, another long-serving player who has seen highs and lows in a City shirt.

Some excellent moments (that goal Vs Scunny) and he became a real leader on the pitch for us in latter years. I'll miss his non-celebrations.
He has a pretty bad start and it took some time for some fans to come around. Generally he just got better and better. A quality player and character but he couldn't go on forever. Someone who, if possible, it would be great to have around the club. I believe he has been helping out coaching the youth. If that is something he wants to pursue and we can accommodate him, it would be ideal.

Dannyred

Woody is another I would keep at the club, So much to offer the youngsters.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Woody is another I would keep at the club, So much to offer the youngsters.
I'm not sure offering the youngsters some guidance is worth a full salary.

Positive spin

His age has finally caught up with Craig.

A fantastic professional who has given so much to the club over the years and hopefully if the chance arises he can continue in a role with the clubs youngsters.

I would like to thank him for all that he has done and wish him all the best whatever he may do in the future.

budegrecian

Echo all the sentiments about his positive contribution to the club. One poor season, at the end of which he was released but then, IIRC, re signed when Danny Butterfield left & has hardly had a poor game since.
With City, understandably, looking to reduce the back room staff, I don't see much opportunity for him or anyone else to take up coaching roles at the club.

Great servant over many years. Has never let us down, despite not always being a fans favourite. Bit of an unsung hero over recent years. Best wishes Craig.