• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Pitch in for City !

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
What happens at the 10 years on at the end of its life ?
Do you have to rip it all up and incur another £1m plus inflation for another ?
The big clubs do that every year and other clubs do it on a smaller scale, The pitch is vitally important to any club and has to be up there when it comes to spending

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Controversial comment...

Instead of bemoaning the state of the pitch, why not shape a playing squad/style capable of playing on the surface available? Probably cheaper.

TSW1389

Controversial comment...

Instead of bemoaning the state of the pitch, why not shape a playing squad/style capable of playing on the surface available? Probably cheaper.
I believe it's not so much the right tactics and players but the fact the Pitch is draining and tiring to play on. Making the ability to play at the tempo and intensity difficult during the winter months. This increases recovery time between games aswell so knocks on to the weeks when playing Tuesday-Saturday.
It's a hard situation as expensive to fund and can be ruined by weather or infestation (ie happened at murryfield and down the road)

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
This gets debated here at least annually.

IMO there is currently no likelihood of a new stadium in Greater Exeter even of we had the money, as I suspect there are few or no feasible sites - I'm pretty sure all those identified by Drivers Jonas in their report are either already gone, too valuable for housing development, or non-starters for other reasons (e.g. access at the Exeter Arena site).

It is I suppose theoretically possible that a new site might become available if several major industries or Exeter School was to go out of business but I can't for the life of me see it. So we are talking green or brown-ish field in East Devon, with very poor ecological and carbon footprints.

And you are right, most fans would be dead against it.

The cost of expansion at SJP (double-decker stand to replace the BB, demolish the school building and erect a conference centre, small double decker stand at the away end, hospitality space in the Well Street corner) would be much less, though we might have to share with the Chiefs or perhaps Yeovil for a season.

And a miracle might happen with Notwork Rail allowing us to build over the Jungle Path.

Anyway, while more conference space might pay its way it would surely not bring in millions. And do we need a bigger football ground? This season we are averaging a little under 5,000, if we got to L1 maybe 6,000 would be realistic against effective capacity of 8,000 for high profile opponents and 8,400 if minimal separation is allowed. Sustained Championship is pie in the sky, IMO.
Might be a pretty big site available out at Clyst Honiton sooner rather than later! ;-)

DB9

I must say if like Dannyred wants the women's team played at SJP as well, The pitch would be in a worse state as there would be less time for it to recover

PeteUSA

Controversial comment...

Nothing controversial about it. I confess I'm exceedingly annoyed with Taylor coming out with all this bollox about the pitch, as if its been an ongoing problem for the team over a long period? He's now rattling on about it wherever possible in the media, and now Tagg has cottoned on and brought it up at a national level FFS! Its the first I've heard about it! The pitch has been generally acceptable over the seasons since remedial work was carried out, now all of a sudden we have a state of emergency which is likely to undermine our promotion efforts!

We were dire against Crewe, and it didnt have bugger all to do with the pitch! It was down to us playing like a bunch of fairies, with an out of sorts Williams and absolutely no recognised strikers of the Stockley/Reid variety! I think team selection and suitable players playing in suitable positions needs looking at before the pitch gets the total blame! Yet we have one member trying to get a 'pitch in' fund off of the ground from nowhere! You couldnt make it up FFS!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Might be a pretty big site available out at Clyst Honiton sooner rather than later! ;-)
Nice and flat as well!

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nice and flat as well!
Yep and there is a big lidl just round the corner too 😆

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
What happens at the 10 years on at the end of its life ?
Do you have to rip it all up and incur another £1m plus inflation for another ?
You dont need to RIP everything up but significant costs would be incurred renovating drainage and resurfacing the pitch.

grecIAN Harris

We could rename ourselves Clyst Rovers (they used to play at the end of the runway for those who don't get the connection).