• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Pitch in for City !

rightwing

Well-known Exeweb poster
Trouble is, as I understand it, where would the water go?. My calculator says that 120 metres x 70 metres (pitch plus surrounds) x 1cm of rain is 8,400 litres or 8.4 tonnes.
Couldn't it be connected to the drainage system in the new stand?

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Couldn't it be connected to the drainage system in the new stand?
The problem is, that this drainage system was not designed for this type of use. In addition, due to the current spec of the pitch, it is silting up, which is impeding its effectiveness at times. I fear that there is no easy fix to this problem sadly.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
The problem is, that this drainage system was not designed for this type of use. In addition, due to the current spec of the pitch, it is silting up, which is impeding its effectiveness at times. I fear that there is no easy fix to this problem sadly.
I'm not qualified to know the answer, so I will ask the question. Why would we pick a 'spec' that causes the drainage system to underperform?

Alistair20000

Borrow the Blotter machine off Somerset CCC to get the surface water off the pitch. Shirley there are drains to dump the water into.

IndoMike

Surely there are some brains at the Uni who can solve this problem? Would be a good project for some students

Nigel E

I have in mind that the topsoil and/or sub-soil has a high clay content, though can't remember where I read that. That would seem to tally with the drains silting up, though. Not sure what the solution to that would be, other than some significant excavation and/or introduction of sand.

In fairness the weather really has been filthy this winter but perhaps that's what we now needs to plan for. If we have another windfall and generate yet more profits, it would seem sensible to invest in the pitch then - apart from anything else it's painful to see how much corporation tax is due on our last set of accounts.

Colesman Ballz

Is our pitch totally flat or is there a slope! I assume there is a bit of a slope, as recommended by pitch experts (Yes, I googled)
You could always commission Ant Moxey to survey it for you ! LOL

Grecian2K

Wouldn't it be cheaper to just prepare one of the training pitches at the C&F to replicate conditions at SJP so the players could have the advantage of getting used to it?

Grecian2K

Is our pitch totally flat or is there a slope! I assume there is a bit of a slope, as recommended by pitch experts (Yes, I googled)
Would never have had you down as a "flat earther" Mike.

malcolms

I have in mind that the topsoil and/or sub-soil has a high clay content, though can't remember where I read that. That would seem to tally with the drains silting up, though. Not sure what the solution to that would be, other than some significant excavation and/or introduction of sand.

In fairness the weather really has been filthy this winter but perhaps that's what we now needs to plan for. If we have another windfall and generate yet more profits, it would seem sensible to invest in the pitch then - apart from anything else it's painful to see how much corporation tax is due on our last set of accounts.
Haven't looked, but have we run out of 'set off' against previous losses?