• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Big Bank 'singing section'

Benito

Excellent post...

The atmos has died at the Park and it is something that is of concern to the guys i stand with near pillar 6.

Have to agree that with the groups of chavvy kids and moaning Exeter Uni students who are just killing time (one at the Gill's game said he thought he was going to watch rugby to his mate) it becomes difficulf to get a chant going, and when you do it lasts no longer than Ben Watson's long at FGR!!!

Not sure there is much you can do apart from build a new COWSHED in place of the OG ;-)

UTC
It's unlikely to have been Exeter Uni students at the Gills game, more likely local kids coming back from other Unis.

Last edited:

Benito

Because the fans that go away are ALL loyal and desperately want to see City do well and therefore get behind them. The Big Bank is more of a social meeting place.
Plus, when you go away you are outnumbered and the underdog and you pull together and show everyone that Exeter are here and are going to be heard.

It's also more of an adventure and that's more exciting!

kuznetsov

I went to the Gills game - first home game for a couple of years. Living away from Exeter I usually only go to aways.

The atmosphere on the BB was sh*t, although not actually as sh*t as I had expected. I also found that both sides were on occasion singing, rather than just a few at the back. What is a shame is the lack of variety in the songs. Unlike some clubs we actually have a lot of songs - some bleddy good ones as well - it's just these young uns only seem to know one or two. It was all a bit Soccer Saturday.

And who allowed that awful music after a goal is scored?

Another point is why don't those in the Doble sing/join in?

Benito

We can't hear you. I was sat at the end of Doble, near the away fans, and barely heard a peak from the Big Bank. The noise just doesn't travel.

angelic upstart

Very well known Exeweb poster
The atmosphere on the BB was sh*t, although not actually as sh*t as I had expected. It was all a bit Soccer Saturday.

And who allowed that awful music after a goal is scored?

Sign of the times I guess. Football is sterile these days.

I have no idea, but I am willing to spearhead any campaign to get music banned after goals. It is disgusting, and insulting to the fans. This is anywhere in the country, not just Exeter.

Benito is correct, no one can hear it, when I stand in the Bank, I am near the train station side, and I often hear nothing, I then get told by my little brother that the atmosphere was alright.

Early Bath

Not that old carrot again! When will some of you get it into your heads that not everyone wants to go to a match to have a sing song.

If I want to sing I would either do it in the shower or join a choir. And if I did "sing" then the ground would empty pronto !

:)

josh4ecfc64

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sign of the times I guess. Football is sterile these days.

I have no idea, but I am willing to spearhead any campaign to get music banned after goals. It is disgusting, and insulting to the fans. This is anywhere in the country, not just Exeter.
I'm in.

Absolutley hate it, unless enough people complain about it though nothing will get done.

It's £5 to get in for under 18's, fairly cheap, it attracts new fans but also attracts a lot of people that don't really want to be there but have nothing else to do, i'm thinking of the 14 year old chavs WAGs for example.

Phil Sayers: The counter argumen is that we have a terrace which can hold 4000 people. How many other teams in this league have that luxury?

Pete03

We need to find a way where home fans (who sing) are near to away fans, this creates banter and can certainly help the atmosphere! For example places like Oldham and Aldershot, the fans are close to each other and the atmosphere is great.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
First: following city away on a regular basis I can definately say (whic may be a suprisr fir some) that sjp actually creates a better atmosphere than most. Still sh*t, but in terms of noise we're actually not too bad in comparison. Like has already been said atmosphere anywhere I'd only decent when you can stand next to the away fans all game. Nothing better than being next to 'em for 90 mins :)
p'raps when the OG gets knocked down singers can congregate near the away fans in the new seated stand before it gets too 'doble'...

Stuart Storer's Tache

Good thread.

Why not move the home fans closer to the away fans, perhaps a terraced section in the Doble? We could call it, I dunno, perhaps the 'Cowshed'...?;)

At the end of the day, moving the singers from the middle to the end of the pitch pretty much killed off the atmosphere at SJP and only by changing this will we get it back
I agree - good thread. Its a good sign people at this club are prepared to try and do something about it, unlike our apathetic bitter yellow friends.

One idea that hasn't been suggested would be to have a singing section in the Old Grandstand. Right next to the away fans and the acoustics are half decent, one problem it wouldn't necessarily fit with the Family Stand vibe!

There is no reason why the BB (like it it has on occasion in the past)can not generate a good atmosphere, although its design is not conducive to keep noise in. I think if/when the pitch is moved it should help.

P.S. I can't understand why some on here harp on about how good Aldershot fans are. I gauge fans on how loud they are at SJP not at home and I've seen plenty better over the years.

Last edited: