• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC v yeovil matchday thread!

claude duvall

yes, good point. harley is wasted wide. he ought to be our attacking midfielder and encouraged to shoot and run at defenders. bertie ought to be deper, he's our best tackler and battler, he closes people down very effectively. that was the best i'd seen russell play last night, he got tired and it's tisdale's fault for not replacing the older players. two games in four days. he took off bertie and norwood. ffs. that stinks of something drawn up hours beforehand on a bit of paper, not from a reaction to what was happening in front of him.

Kingsman

Just watched the replay of their goal about 4 or 5 times and from the bank didn't realise what a great goal it was. Jonesys kick out was bad but not terrible, one of our players didnt close him down quick enough but a great strike.

ECFC Nursey!

Very well known Exeweb poster
RIP to City's number nine. Sleep tight love
Just watched the replay of their goal about 4 or 5 times and from the bank didn't realise what a great goal it was. Jonesys kick out was bad but not terrible, one of our players didnt close him down quick enough but a great strike.
what he said

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
I'm not saying it was a great match. I'm not saying things couldn't have worked better. I will say thank goodness most of us aren't managing the team.
Maybe there were reasons why we feel what should have happened, didn't. Maybe there were other considerations. A possibly injured goallie for example, or just things we're not aware of.
One bad game, I'm not worried.
Another ten would be a different matter...

Oldsmobile-88

Yep....Mistakes at this level in front of goal,usually end up in the back of the net...

Jones looked like he was hobbling(Marriot was warming up) prior to the goal & the last thing he needed was a unnecessary back pass....

Well-known Exeweb poster
Youre right it was a great strike.and ok jones could be slated
a little for a mis kick, but no real worries, these things happen. And again the our boys could/should have closed it down quicker. but as you said a great strike. But a slight concern could be that during open play jonesy is standing to far off his line? and coaches have highlighted it. looking back at the leeds game beckford tried it, what 2/3times, and came vv close. And now this one. perhaps,too many times for it to be a coincidence?.

Gozzer

Needs some width in the midfield. The system he has played for both home games is ideal away from home where the onus is on the home side to come out and play but at home we need to be creating something.
And whilst we're on about the diamond midfield, for Gods sake put Harley at the attacking point of it. It gives him the opportunity to get into the gap between the midfield and forwards where he is at his most dangerous.
I agree with you that Harley needs to be tried playing in the hole, in place of Bertie, but on Tuesday I couldn't see a diamnond shape in the midfield. It was clear against QPR, but against Yeovil they were playing in a line most of the time, which wastes Harley by playing him too wide, where he's not going to play like a winger anyway. Further evidence was the times when the front two went wide to allow Bertie space between them - didn't happen and I don't think Norwood is aware enough to play that role anyway, he's too direct for it.

It looked pretty much much like the standard 4-4-2 to me v Yeovil, with no natural wide players.

JamieEcfc

yes, good point. harley is wasted wide. he ought to be our attacking midfielder and encouraged to shoot and run at defenders. bertie ought to be deper, he's our best tackler and battler, he closes people down very effectively. that was the best i'd seen russell play last night, he got tired and it's tisdale's fault for not replacing the older players. two games in four days. he took off bertie and norwood. ffs. that stinks of something drawn up hours beforehand on a bit of paper, not from a reaction to what was happening in front of him.
Agree Completly

Well-known Exeweb poster

sounds right

ECFC '72

Laughing at the people showing their true colours
I was under the impression Cozic came off because of the clattering he recieved in front of the OG ?