• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Creeping 'Textspeak'

Gozzer

Very well known Exeweb poster
Got about half of that, Les. As for the rest, well I can just about communicate with northerners and that will do for me.

Made up words? Bleddy brilliant, innum?

Poundstretcher

Ok, not textspeak but back when I were younger the following made perfect sence in local dialect. So do you Southern shandy drinkers understand this.

Last Sat'dy, I pagged me mate down to Ploggers for a game of togger with the lads. We stopped halfway there at the offy and got some goodies. We met this grufty gippo on the way who was a right reckoner. I tw*tted him one and he sh*tted his kegs and ended up bealing, then his nunty sister started roaring. Later on we went to me nannas and she tret us to some spoggy. I ended up having too much and it nearly made me boke; it made me a right mardy bugger for yonks. Come Monday, I couldn't be arsed so I ended up twagging it off and doing a barra-job for me uncle.
I get the majority of it - I haven't heard "spoggy" in bloody ages. Not sure where Ploggers is but I were Cleethorpes/Humberston end rather than GY...

JamieEcfc

2. Txt tlk 4rum 4 young 'uns.
Im 14 and i dont type like that....

Swanaldo

it nearly made me boke;.
I presume this means the same as 'Ah wis guy near boaking, so ah wis'

I dont really mind to be honest :)

Pete Martin (CTID)

I don't think the use of text speak in itself is a concern (although, personally, I don't like it). The concern lies in the fact that some of the users of it don't know (because they have never been taught) how to use English properly or how to spell.

It matters little how far you deviate from proper use of the language if you know you're doing it and understand how to write and speak properly. Unfortunately a fair few these days don't know.

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
Made up words - usually a stab at old Devonian vernacular - are bleddy great. They're what make Exeweb special, innum? Geddon ECFC_1985. Give it a try. Or are you one of they Exedurr bauys who'd rather talk Mockney than Devonian? :)
[y] Bleddy isn't a made up word, just an embracing of our beautiful accents ;)

LOG

Texting things such as "m8" is for w*nkers.

This covers both text messages and any other means of communication.

les.gtfc

Too true. The only m8 I know goes from Glasgae tae Edinburgh.

Last edited:

Red Devon

LOGie...lol:):)