• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

GB News.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Dan Wootton has parted company with GB News, a day after media regulator Ofcom found that an episode of his show broke its broadcasting rules.

And so Wotton takes his show online. Not long after Piers Morgan, who followed Tucker Carlson.

And tonight Murdoch has announced that TalkTV is being taken off air (but remains on YouTube). Probably won't be long until GBnews does the same.

TV is dying.

Grecian2K

Pricey hobby, these "culture wars"
Wonder how long before Field Marshall Marshall cuts his offence budget.

DB9

And so Wotton takes his show online. Not long after Piers Morgan, who followed Tucker Carlson.

And tonight Murdoch has announced that TalkTV is being taken off air (but remains on YouTube). Probably won't be long until GBnews does the same.

TV is dying.
Bit premature there Jinxy, Whilst TV as we know it is being challenged, Watching it is still around the 75%-80% mark. One of the reasons quoted was to do with advertising revenue, Whether that they can't command fees like they use to charge advertisers but moving online will be even more challenging because there are more outlets looking for audiences.

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
With Talk TV having to go online only, and GB news losing circa £70m plus in year two, it appears that the silent majority don’t own televisions. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Phil Sayers

Switching to doing online shows is often a sign that someone is giving up on the delusion that they are a journalist and just focusing on shameless grifting going forwards. Spoon-feed their narrow audience with exactly what they want to hear (even if it bears no more than a passing resemblance to any concept of objective truth), don't allow their 'safe-space' to be sullied by any alternative viewpoints and watch the cash roll in.

Mr Jinx

Bit premature there Jinxy, Whilst TV as we know it is being challenged, Watching it is still around the 75%-80% mark. One of the reasons quoted was to do with advertising revenue, Whether that they can't command fees like they use to charge advertisers but moving online will be even more challenging because there are more outlets looking for audiences.
It's all to do with direction of travel and therefore it's a bit more than a challenge. It's a bit like Blockbuster video expecting (hoping) for a turnaround in fortunes.

The TV companies are stuck between a rock and a hard place. They try and shake things up to try and appeal to a younger audience without seeming to realise that kids don't watch terrestrial TV and the changes just alienate older viewers.

It's not all bad though - C5 are seeing things go in an upward direction but they really are the exception to the rule.

Switching to doing online shows is often a sign that someone is giving up on the delusion that they are a journalist and just focusing on shameless grifting going forwards. Spoon-feed their narrow audience with exactly what they want to hear (even if it bears no more than a passing resemblance to any concept of objective truth), don't allow their 'safe-space' to be sullied by any alternative viewpoints and watch the cash roll in.
...is the short sighted view. It's the future whether you like it or not. It's not just a right-wing thing either - Guardian News has a 24/7 presence on Youtube with a healthy number of subscribers.

Last edited:

iscalad

It's all to do with direction of travel and therefore it's a bit more than a challenge. It's a bit like Blockbuster video expecting (hoping) for a turnaround in fortunes.

The TV companies are stuck between a rock and a hard place. They try and shake things up to try and appeal to a younger audience without seeming to realise that kids don't watch terrestrial TV and the changes just alienate older viewers.

It's not all bad though - C5 are seeing things go in an upward direction but they really are the exception to the rule.

...is the short sighted view. It's the future whether you like it or not. It's not just a right-wing thing either - Guardian News has a 24/7 presence on Youtube with a healthy number of subscribers.
C5 have been producing some excellent documentaries recently.

DB9

Problem i have with online news is their obvious agenda, Be it left or right, They don't deal in facts per say, just opinions and have people on that agree with that so you get a audience that only agrees with you and i think Ofcom does not reach online content yet but not 100% sure. You can have a "Saddo" in their bedroom, use a bit of CGI to get a background to look like a busy newsroom to give the impression of "Legitimacy" when in truth they are of the tin foil hat brigade spouting off untruths.

I can agree that the TV companies going after a younger audience in the main is turning off those that actually watch TV, ie older viewers, Soaps are a prime example, Get the main story lines involve only younger cast members and some of the story lines are ridiculous, older viewers will turn off and you only have to look at the viewing figures to prove my point. As isca says C5 do some great documentaries but also great dramas, Other than that awful one set on a cruise ship, They have as you say bucked the trend a bit.

Phil Sayers

Problem i have with online news is their obvious agenda, Be it left or right, They don't deal in facts per say, just opinions and have people on that agree with that so you get a audience that only agrees with you and i think Ofcom does not reach online content yet but not 100% sure. You can have a "Saddo" in their bedroom, use a bit of CGI to get a background to look like a busy newsroom to give the impression of "Legitimacy" when in truth they are of the tin foil hat brigade spouting off untruths.
Exactly this. I don't disagree with Jinxy that it is probably the future (and also that it isn't just the right, the far-left were way ahead on doing these online shows) but I think it is extremely unhealthy in a democratic society if you can essentially have isolated 'bubbles' of opinion which can choose never to be exposed to other opinions. This is how we get to 'alternate facts' and extreme polarisation whereby one 'side' doesn't just disagree with the other 'side' but instead considers them to be the devil because they are interpreting completely different factual understandings rather than interpreting a common baseline of universal truth.

Mr Jinx

Exactly this. I don't disagree with Jinxy that it is probably the future (and also that it isn't just the right, the far-left were way ahead on doing these online shows) but I think it is extremely unhealthy in a democratic society if you can essentially have isolated 'bubbles' of opinion which can choose never to be exposed to other opinions. This is how we get to 'alternate facts' and extreme polarisation whereby one 'side' doesn't just disagree with the other 'side' but instead considers them to be the devil because they are interpreting completely different factual understandings rather than interpreting a common baseline of universal truth.
You mean a bit like this thread (now that Tavy is on soujourn)? Sometimes I'll come back after a few days off feeling I've just landed in a left wing echo chamber. I see art's even back to his Gruan cut/pasting. 🤷‍♂️