• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

GB News.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Since its a bit quiet on here i thought I'd start a thread about this new news channel starting soon. Some have been condemming it before it has started for being too "Right Wing" when in fact we know nothing of its content, Some comparing it with Newsmax and OANN in the US when in fact by the laws here it can never be like that. Do we need another news channel and will it survive and thrive or will it be a struggle to stay on the air financially?

We have BBC, Sky, ITV, C4 and C5 news plus lots more on various platforms and another one in a crowded market, Its going to be difficult for them. Many accuse the "MSM" of being biased towards one side or the other and as i've said people have been judgemental before the first broadcast has happened, There is a strong feeling amoungst some that a fresh view from the news is needed with certain "causes" being given more prominece than some others and hope this channel will "Even things up", I'm not sure of their line up, Only know Andrew Neil that has been employed by them and it will be interesting who else will come aboard them. LBC had Farage and Hopkins as part of their presenter line up for a while until they were asked to leave so will they be asked?

The news in this country is pretty good IMHO but for whatever reasons a portrayal of mistrust and suspicion seems to be quite prevelant nowadays. So what do you want from this Channel, Will you watch it or have you made up your mind about it already?

Mr Jinx

I'd say we need as many News channels in this country where there exists the demand. As long as they abide by currently broadcasting rules & laws of course.

You reel off the ones that already exist.

Firstly you have the Beeb. Now I don't so much have a problem with their bias. In fact I don't think they are actually that biased. My main beef with them is because they spend all their time worrying who they may or may not have offended, their news is dumbed down to the point it's little better than John Craven's Newsround was. I find it unwatchable. There's always Newsnight, but I gave up watching that since it became nothing more than a coven.

Then there's ITV. Again I have no beef with their News show as such. It's just that ITV is banned in our house (apart from 90 minutes of the Masked Singer of course).

Moving nicely along to Channel "I've never seen so many white people" Four. Nuff said.

I can't comment on C5, I thought they only did 2 minute splashes. But then we come to Sky. Now, here we had my Alamo: I used to watch it continuously, but ever since Covid hit, I can't watch it. Whether that was due in part to its takeover and new Woke direction, or its new obsession with Covid I don't know. But it, like the others, are now gone to me.

Who knows, GB News could come online and I might not like it either. Given that Andrew Neill is one of my favourite broadcasters/presenters, I imagine I very much will. His Thursday night politics show was one of the highlights of my week. Especially when Mrs Flint was on it! ;)

iscalad

Euronews is a good watch

DB9

I'd say we need as many News channels in this country where there exists the demand. As long as they abide by currently broadcasting rules & laws of course.

You reel off the ones that already exist.

Firstly you have the Beeb. Now I don't so much have a problem with their bias. In fact I don't think they are actually that biased. My main beef with them is because they spend all their time worrying who they may or may not have offended, their news is dumbed down to the point it's little better than John Craven's Newsround was. I find it unwatchable. There's always Newsnight, but I gave up watching that since it became nothing more than a coven.

Then there's ITV. Again I have no beef with their News show as such. It's just that ITV is banned in our house (apart from 90 minutes of the Masked Singer of course).

Moving nicely along to Channel "I've never seen so many white people" Four. Nuff said.

I can't comment on C5, I thought they only did 2 minute splashes. But then we come to Sky. Now, here we had my Alamo: I used to watch it continuously, but ever since Covid hit, I can't watch it. Whether that was due in part to its takeover and new Woke direction, or its new obsession with Covid I don't know. But it, like the others, are now gone to me.

Who knows, GB News could come online and I might not like it either. Given that Andrew Neill is one of my favourite broadcasters/presenters, I imagine I very much will. His Thursday night politics show was one of the highlights of my week. Especially when Mrs Flint was on it! ;)
I'm not sure but i think ITV, C4 get their news from ITN and C5 use to get their's from Sky but could have changed. I do believe we need a strong Independently edited news channel and not be a mouth piece for Government (Whoever that is) There have been issues over the last year or two that have made me think "Hang on, We do need to hear the other view" and people have been saying Free speech is being stifled on other news channels, Will GB News give free speech a chance?

Rosencrantz

I'm not sure but i think ITV, C4 get their news from ITN and C5 use to get their's from Sky but could have changed. I do believe we need a strong Independently edited news channel and not be a mouth piece for Government (Whoever that is) There have been issues over the last year or two that have made me think "Hang on, We do need to hear the other view" and people have been saying Free speech is being stifled on other news channels, Will GB News give free speech a chance?
I do think you have to walk a tight line between "free speech" and "misinformation" otherwise you end up with what you have in the US. Misinformation needs to be called out there and then and challenged properly, rather than defended as free speech. Hopefully Ofcom regulations will stop the excesses we see elsewhere.

Spoonz Red E

I'll give it a go when it surfaces but it all depends on their template to me.
One thing I dislike with US media is the overwhelming amount of talking heads opinion surrounding the news items - and that goes for both 'leftwing' and 'rightwing' channels.
If GB News veers too much in that direction I shall mostly steer clear and stick with BBC World Service on the radio and a mix of the online newpaper sites.

Last edited:

DB9

I do think you have to walk a tight line between "free speech" and "misinformation" otherwise you end up with what you have in the US. Misinformation needs to be called out there and then and challenged properly, rather than defended as free speech. Hopefully Ofcom regulations will stop the excesses we see elsewhere.
"Free speech" and "Misinformation" i think is seperated in this country on the news channels, On SM the spread of misinformation is another thing but our news channels are pretty good at keeping to the truth.

Rosencrantz

I guess Andrew Neil has not noticed that the "South African variant" and "Brazilian variant" is in common use in the UK. I'm not sure if he has called that out though.

https://www.politicmag.net/politics-news/andrew-neil-hits-out-at-french-use-of-variant-anglais-but-never-say-china-virus-uk-news-reports-37037-2021/

Rosencrantz

"Free speech" and "Misinformation" i think is seperated in this country on the news channels, On SM the spread of misinformation is another thing but our news channels are retty good at keeping to the truth.
Yes, and hopefully it stays that way.

Alistair20000

Especially when Mrs Flint was on it! ;)
Seconded :love: