• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
We were two forwards down from what we should have had in August

Scott leaves another gap.

Mo Eisa on a 6 month loan, not a perm - should do the job to fit into one of these slots

Alli is a 10 - despite GC saying he might trying him up front in the future. Good potential signing and presumably a decent fee on him.

Harris was a summer transfer that didn’t go through. Loan.

Woods should be on a chunky wage given where he’s come from, another loan

Purrington a quality addition and will be one of the higher earners

Cummins is a kid, he isn’t going to be on loads for his shot at EFL football

It’s good business and yes loan fees often exist - however offering £200k shows there was more to play with. The idea that was linked to outgoings in going to disagree with - it was Stevenage who rejected that offer, not us pulling out because we needed to add funds from elsewhere.

The club have done well and I’m happy - GC said in his own words he’d have had more in and I reckon the club would have done too if we’d closed another deal.

None of this is criticism just analysis of what happened.

7/10 and I want to see proper Squad building in the summer with more investment in longer term deals where they make sense

Last edited:

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Small point - I don’t believe we paid a fee for Cummins, happy to be corrected on that.
i did read it said we had paid a compensation fee. Perhaps as he came from an Irish club they arent covered by the same compensation scheme as the rules with British clubs I don't know

yticretexe

"As a grassroots player, Cummins played for his local side Blarney United until his move to Cobh, and both clubs are now due compensation following Charlie's move to SJP. "

Grecian Max

"As a grassroots player, Cummins played for his local side Blarney United until his move to Cobh, and both clubs are now due compensation following Charlie's move to SJP. "
“Due compensation” is an interesting turn of phrase

Doubt this breaking the bank

Rosencrantz

In terms of first team squad numbers, we were very light last season as well with only around 20 first team players going into January (of course we had the Harry Smith the situation as well which didn't help). Come January we got in six but lost three (MJ, Dieng and Stubbs) so we're a bit stronger coming out of January in numbers but realistically we were still starting from a low base last summer then made worse given the substantial outgoings.

We have signed a hell of a lot of players from the end of last season replacing what we have lost and the numbers are now starting to get a better squad strength in terms of numbers and coverage (another No 9 would have been ideal but we are better off than we were). If we can get a few contract extensions done, although we will still have work to do with incomings, we should start the summer transfer window in a bit of a better position than the last one numbers wise.

The rebuild after last summer was never going to be straightforward or quick. It was going to take a few windows to sort out. The key is really not to get in a situation that leaves us light in a key area of the squad again.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
We were two forwards down from what we should have had in August

Scott leaves another gap.

Mo Eisa on a 6 month loan, not a perm - should do the job to fit into one of these slots

Alli is a 10 - despite GC saying he might trying him up front in the future. Good potential signing and presumably a decent fee on him.

Harris was a summer transfer that didn’t go through. Loan.

Woods should be on a chunky wage given where he’s come from, another loan

Purrington a quality addition and will be one of the higher earners

Cummins is a kid, he isn’t going to be on loads for his shot at EFL football

It’s good business and yes loan fees often exist - however offering £200k shows there was more to play with. The idea that was linked to outgoings in going to disagree with - it was Stevenage who rejected that offer, not us pulling out because we needed to add funds from elsewhere.

The club have done well and I’m happy - GC said in his own words he’d have had more in and I reckon the club would have done too if we’d closed another deal.

None of this is criticism just analysis of what happened.

7/10 and I want to see proper Squad building in the summer with more investment in longer term deals where they make sense
I agree and think we now have enough within the squad to stay up this season. I think that the last 2 results have masked the fact that we are in a relegation fight, which we clearly still are.

Hopefully the unspent funds, and some more, will be available to get some decent players in over the summer.

Clubs are due Training Compensation on any move a player makes up to and including their 23rd birthday. This obligation is fixed and cannot be avoided. Worked out based upon years spent at the training club. Forms part of the FIFA Regulations on the Transfer of Players.

Not the same process as the PFCC and these fees will be very minimal in comparison.

yticretexe

Clubs are due Training Compensation on any move a player makes up to and including their 23rd birthday. This obligation is fixed and cannot be avoided. Worked out based upon years spent at the training club. Forms part of the FIFA Regulations on the Transfer of Players.

Not the same process as the PFCC and these fees will be very minimal in comparison.
We get it mate, you know the process.

The deluder

We get it mate, you know the process.
Well I didn’t. Thank you to the previous poster for the explaining.

ryancooper327

I think we’ll see a few of the young pros head out on loan now, possibly until the end of the season like Borges.