• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Portsmouth Matchday Thread (Friday 29th December)

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Felt obliged to post as I hear you get stick if you don't post very often.

My circumstances have changed and I have moved from a season ticket holder about ten years ago to an occasional visitor. Last night was my first game of the season.

There is no comparison between what I witnessed at the end of last season and what I watched last night. This was a relatively poor football team who have an inability to keep hold of the ball. There was little style, no flowing football but an encouraging tenacity and resilience. I fully appreciate that the recent run has dictated this way of playing but silky it wasn't.

The first half was dull, the second was much better with a more attacking threat from both sides. Realistically we never looked like scoring and with our record this season, wasn't expecting us too. A draw was a fair result and a good result against a very ordinary looking top of the table side.

Real positives for me were Diabete, Cox and Sinsalo.

I really hope that signings can be made which allow for more creativity and threat.
A sensible post, and our current reality

We have been seriously lacking fun this season; appreciate that some like watching bad football for their own internal loyalty points but yeah, this isn’t an era I’ll look back on with fondness

Hopefully the miracle forwards will change us, I suspect we will score more goals (hard not to) but still look blunt as fook

grecIAN Harris

Credit must have been watching Eastleigh rather than Exeter to see Jake Taylor playing ! :unsure:
Or maybe he was just watching Kyle Taylor at St James Park as the rest of us were.........

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
if you would rather have a goalkeeper up front rather than a player who’s played in the Scottish premier league and English championship that’s your opinion of course - James Scott hasn’t set the world alight at Exeter we all know that but if he was given a run of games and played in the right position i reckon he’s capable.

Sonny Cox has less professional league goals than James Scott and hasn’t played at the same level Scott has - but because he’s a local lad people give him more leeway, that’s understandable of course but Scott has been made a bit of a scapegoat for Citys poor form when in reality others haven’t been much better.

I personally wouldn’t want a goalkeeper upfront in a Sunday morning side but each to their own.
I see Arbroath have brought on a GK as a substitute and put him up front. He scored 😄

grecIAN Harris

Just watched the highlights back, why didn't Cox let the ball come across him so he could shoot with his right foot??????

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just watched the highlights back, why didn't Cox let the ball come across him so he could shoot with his right foot??????
Yeah I thought that. We got into a very good situation there and it should have resulted in a goal.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Screenshot_20231230-171155.png

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah I thought that. We got into a very good situation there and it should have resulted in a goal.
It came out of nowhere a bit and I guess he anticipated a challenge coming in from that side... Not realising the space he was in.

Grecian Max

It came out of nowhere a bit and I guess he anticipated a challenge coming in from that side... Not realising the space he was in.
Got to be reading stuff like, quality ball from Reece

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Got to be reading stuff like, quality ball from Reece
Yeah, should've done better. Just suggesting why he might've stuck a left peg at it.

grecIAN Harris

It came out of nowhere???? Now it might be just me but from the picture above I'd say Sonny was asking for the ball.