• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Portsmouth Matchday Thread (Friday 29th December)

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also, if the two strikers are really genuine done deals, why not announce them? There's no games till Jan. Carlisle announced thingyo a week ago. Who are these?
Only saying what Caldwell said

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Where is this? Whispers in the lounge or in an interview?

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Where is this? Whispers in the lounge or in an interview?
Before the game he does a talk with the mic

tea stand

On the Wayne Carlisle front, we certainly have vacancies on the coaching side....the academy has been losing staff at a rate of knots and needs a replacement for Brad Miller. WC might be better with the first team set up, but definitely scope for getting him back in somewhere.
He could also be going to Rovers. Could depend on the usual things such as money or how well he could work with either MT or GC?

gui

Really blown away by how much better we played than for the last three months. Feels like a different team.
Very happy with that, although a goal wouldn't have been undeserved.

Have we turned the proverbial corner?
Because we changed the system and are playing much more tight with a strong back 4.
I’ve been campaigning for this for weeks all over social media .
Since Wycombe we are playing as a much stronger unit now packing up the defence and midfield , closing gaps and making harder for the opposition to break us down .
I know we can’t score but I said let’s at least not concede goals if we can’t score .
Last 2 games proven my point .
Makes me so happy because we are now playing like a proper football team .
Portsmouth ran out of ideas after 30 minutes and couldn’t penetrate our wall and we made them look very ordinary because of the way we set up on the pitch .
RESPECT to Gary and his management team for changing the system the past 2 games .
It takes guts and courage to change direction when things are bad and I feel GC has now found the ‘ winning formula’ .
He must stick to it though .
With the arrival of 1 or 2 strikers in January it will make us a force to be reckoned with and a team very hard to beat .
We had to stop leaking goals and we are managing to do that by being more compact and close to each others .
Onwards and upwards!
UTC.

gui

As positive point against a very average Pompey (how are they top the league based on that)

Despite it being a bonus point given league positions we’re still so dull to watch IMO in fact at times it’s borderline boring - that may sound a bit harsh as the work rate and effort was very good.

Sonny worked hard with very little support at one point the nearest player to him was 25-30 yards behind him - he needs help or someone up alongside him

Diabate was solid and i thought the midfield was hard working.

Zak Jules can someone tell me what he does? is he a wing back? i can’t remember him ever crossing the half way line or crossing the ball once….and for a bloke who’s 6ft whatever does he ever head it?

Very meh. IMO. but a positive point based on league positions.
I rather play ‘ boring ‘ like you said and not concede goals than to play wide open and to get smashed every game .
You can’t have it both ways pal .

Mid Devon Grecian

Did he actually say they are strikers?

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
You said I didn't give us any credit. It was literally my first sentence
I said,can't be arsed to look it up, that you said Portsmouth were poor. I'm saying that was because we didn't let them playn as they wanted. I don't think I said you didn't give us credit. Anyway not going to say anymore on this.

dontpassback

A clean sheet and a point against the league leaders is a step in the right direction,Pompey couldn’t beat fleetwood at home,and it won’t be long before some of the fan base start getting on mousinhos case

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Did he actually say they are strikers?
Just said signings.