• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Caldwell out?

Gary Caldwell as our manager

• In

Votes: 229 59.9%
  • Out

Votes: 153 40.1%

• Total voters

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Do you not think that because the club can only meaningfully change our prospects by strengthening the squad in January, that the monetarily expensive case to sack the manager in November is logically weak?
The question wasn't directed at me, but I'll answer it anyway. If we're questioning whether Gary is the right man for the job, then I'd argue we'd have to make a decision on it fairly soon.

You either give Gary the pot and let him spend it, or you get someone new in early enough that they can identify what they need and choose their targets, get deals over the line etc. Last time we lost a manager, it took a month for the new man to enter the building. That puts us at December 20th if Caldwell goes in the next 5 minutes. Obviously, I would hope the process would be a bit quicker this time around, if that's what the club decide to do, but we don't really have a long time to decide.

The worst possible outcome for the club would be to stick with Gary deep into December while the form continues, pressure for his removal grows, the idea of giving him a transfer kitty to spend as he sees fit begins to look foolish, etc. We then decide to terminate, late December, take a week or two to get a new guy in... Expensive panic signings that don't really solve the problems we want them to, etc.

Obviously the flip side is we stick with him, he gets a few wins under his belt, the fans cheer up a bit, he signs three or four players in January, including a couple of decent strikers, we pick up and end in lower midtable with a team starting to look like its taking shape. I'd love the latter, but it feels very far away. For me, it was the Fleetwood game when I reached the point when I decided, with a fairly heavy heart, that the best thing for the club is to make that switch ASAP, to give us enough time before january for a better shot at staying up. Respect that people are still hopeful that things will sort themselves out, but everyone will have a tipping point. That tipping point just better not come on boxing day!

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Surely the Trust Board (were they the people elected Saturday?) are beholden to do what the Trust Membership want? If there is enough members (so 200+) of their membership who wish to see change officially discussed, so through an SGM or EGM, should they not be doing all they can to facilitate that?
Once all the requisite hoops have been jumped through, they're obliged to faciliate the discussion. However, that doesn't mean they can't then attempt to steer Trust members in a direction of their choosing.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Surely the Trust Board (were they the people elected Saturday?) are beholden to do what the Trust Membership want? If there is enough members (so 200+) of their membership who wish to see change officially discussed, so through an SGM or EGM, should they not be doing all they can to facilitate that?
See Egg's response that covers your question fully.

Gordon Dale

Very simply because the Trust are not the employer. The Club are the employer hence why the contract is between the club and the employee
Noted.Thank you for the clarity.

Gordon Dale

Ross County
He'll do well there. Didn't particularly like him when he managed Argyle but he did a good job at Morecambe . I believe he took Ross County , who play at Dingwall ( nice little ground) , from the lower leagues to Scottish premiership some years back.

Simba3011

This really can't continue. Swindon playing a team of youngsters and they look untroubled. Apart from the first 15 minutes the team has played with no intensity at all.

Grecian Max

"we have an exceptional manager"

🤡 🤡 🤡

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
This really can't continue. Swindon playing a team of youngsters and they look untroubled. Apart from the first 15 minutes the team has played with no intensity at all.
Yeah but they have a bigger stadium than us, so how are we meant to compete?

🤡

mfcrocker

But I know we'll meet again, some sunny day...
Well, I guess he's definitely going nowhere https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/BoardUpdateNov22

denzel

Well, I guess he's definitely going nowhere https://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/BoardUpdateNov22
I had to check the date as I was sure that was the same statement as last week