• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Oxford United v Exeter City Official Matchday Thread

yticretexe

Highlights - Zak Jules, Kyle Taylor, Caleb Watts
Lowlights - Hartdrige, Sweeney and Aimson.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't see the main problem here being who we have up front.We get to the penalty box and then stop,look around for a bit ,pass it back,then sideways,then to the other side and.....its too late ,all the gaps have been closed up.Oxford showed us how to attack and make space in the penalty box,no one learnt from that until Scott and Harper came on.Jules was the only one that showed any urgency to score in the first 60 minutes.
It's because we have no outlet

Albumen

We had no forward for most of the game, that very specific transfer market failure is going to bite us on the arse more than once.

We looked very comfortable in possession for most of it, and dominated that area of play but so blunt in the final third. Oxford didn't look great but what they did do was get into more dangerous positions than us when they occasionally got the ball.

Demi probably MOTM for working so hard despite not having much space to do so.

We are very easy to defend against and even Cheltenham - a team that is genuinely terrible - managed to stave us off for most of it.

Club/Trust need to get their chequebook out and bring in a free agent ASAP. I know GC has said no more signings, but surely this can be shifted - it's not working going forward.
Gotta give The Admiral a little time. I think there is/will be goals in this team. Has been incredibly unsettled few weeks in terms of personnel.

Aitchison is a miss. He’s the sort of player who wants to be on the end of moves.

I’m still feeling pretty optimistic.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's because we have no outlet
That was when we had an outlet.I counted 3 players in the box, no point of them being there,the ball went backwards again.There's an outlet when players get themselves into the box,but they have to be used quickly.

Albumen

They aren't - we have put our eggs into an injured loan basket who has no record of scoring many

Scott isn't a natural goalscorer either and Sonny isn't there development wise

THE WHOLE SUMMER to find another forward - even with Nombe staying we'd have needed it, embarrassing
It’s not embarrassing. I’m not at all embarrassed by it.

It’s frustrating. But it’s also too early to call. I think there will be, and there already has been, goals in this team. Scott will need a bit of time to get back into the swing, and we havent seen The Admiral yet. Too early to write off the attacking recruitment yet.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hard luck City, sounds like our back three weren't at their best. Always on the cards, move on.

Injury to Trevitt worrying.
Biggest concern remains the defence is still a sound unit but if we do concede the points seem to be inevitably on their way to their opponents because whilst we do have players capable of scoring we have no one who we can look to be a threat to the opposing defence to give us serious hopes of recovering the situation.

Having supported City for many moons I can’t recall a time when we have been so bereft of a recognised striker logic says we are not going to stay any where near the playoffs leave alone autos unless we can somehow change this……..we can but hope that the Admiral will go some way to changing the situation.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
That was when we had an outlet.I counted 3 players in the box, no point of them being there,the ball went backwards again.There's an outlet when players get themselves into the box,but they have to be used quickly.
Only an outlet if their team mates have confidence they'll stick the ball in the onion bag.

iscalad

Oxford’s second and third scorer today, Brannagan, played for Liverpool against us in both those FA Cup matches in 2016.
Also, in January 2022, he scored 4 penalties for Oxford in their 2:7 win away at Gillingham.
Thus becoming the first player to score that many in the same match in the history of the league.
Good job we only gave him two goes today.
So to go with a bad result, you bring up the Liverpool match. Thank for nothing....

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
It’s not embarrassing. I’m not at all embarrassed by it.

It’s frustrating. But it’s also too early to call. I think there will be, and there already has been, goals in this team. Scott will need a bit of time to get back into the swing, and we havent seen The Admiral yet. Too early to write off the attacking recruitment yet.
Well said!!!

2nd half we were actually quite good and were on top until the 1st penalty was given. The home crowd were turning at that point, so that was disappointing.

I agree that we didn't really have enough threat about us, but to use words like embarrassing etc is a total over reaction.

On to the next!!

Colesman Ballz

Oxford’s second and third scorer today, Brannagan, played for Liverpool against us in both those FA Cup matches in 2016.
Also, in January 2022, he scored 4 penalties for Oxford in their 2:7 win away at Gillingham.
Thus becoming the first player to score that many in the same match in the history of the league.
Good job we only gave him two goes today.
Shush, don't tell Fred ! :cool: