• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Serious Torquay Thread

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good points - thanks. What I had had in mind (without thinking through the implications!) was 3 geographical divisions for the current 48 National League North and South clubs. But that's 16 clubs per division ie too small.

However, I think one of the problems in the current 6th tier is leagues of 24 clubs for part time clubs resulting in loads of midweek fixtures. That's 46 league games plus potentially quite a lot of Cup games, both in the FA Trophy and the FACup (entry is at 2nd Qualifying Round). Add in postponements for weather/ground condition - pitches aren't of the Chas type quality. Travel issues are miles worse for clubs and part time players with midweek 7.45 kick offs than for Saturday 3pm.

On the geographical division what I had in mind was (particularly because there are so many southern teams)
1. one Northern Division (stretching from the far north-east to the two clubs just north of Birmingham)
2. a South and East division incorporating London and clubs to the East of London
3. a South and West division incorporating everything west of London that's south of Birmingham
So almost going back to a Northern League, Southern League, Isthmian League set up 🙂.

Boyo

Good points - thanks. What I had had in mind (without thinking through the implications!) was 3 geographical divisions for the current 48 National League North and South clubs. But that's 16 clubs per division ie too small.

However, I think one of the problems in the current 6th tier is leagues of 24 clubs for part time clubs resulting in loads of midweek fixtures. That's 46 league games plus potentially quite a lot of Cup games, both in the FA Trophy and the FACup (entry is at 2nd Qualifying Round). Add in postponements for weather/ground condition - pitches aren't of the Chas type quality. Travel issues are miles worse for clubs and part time players with midweek 7.45 kick offs than for Saturday 3pm.

On the geographical division what I had in mind was (particularly because there are so many southern teams)
1. one Northern Division (stretching from the far north-east to the two clubs just north of Birmingham)
2. a South and East division incorporating London and clubs to the East of London
3. a South and West division incorporating everything west of London that's south of Birmingham
So something like this, which divides the current 48 into three leagues of 16 (acknowledging your point that 16 is not sufficient)? Even with this, I expect the likes of Kings Lyn and Havant would be complaining, as they would be missing out on some local-ish games and having to travel to far flung places within their region. Even Truro and Torquay would miss out on those easy journeys to west London and have to treck to Peterborough instead. Bishop Stortford would be delighted of course.

1684770398220.png

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
So something like this, which divides the current 48 into three leagues of 16 (acknowledging your point that 16 is not sufficient)? Even with this, I expect the likes of Kings Lyn and Havant would be complaining, as they would be missing out on some local-ish games and having to travel to far flung places within their region. Even Truro and Torquay would miss out on those easy journeys to west London and have to treck to Peterborough instead. Bishop Stortford would be delighted of course.

View attachment 11636
Aren't Truro missing from this map? Truro to Peterborough is some hike.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Aren't Truro missing from this map? Truro to Peterborough is some hike.
They play in Plymouth

Alistair20000

They play in Plymouth
What on earth did they do to deserve that ?

DB9

What on earth did they do to deserve that ?
Were very bad in a previous life.

STURTZ

Truro ground sold for housing. Waiting on the new Stadium for Cornwall, which will never happen. Can't see Truro moving back for some time.

andrew p long

View attachment 11636
Yep, many thanks, that's the sort of thing I had in mind (though possibly shifting Peterborough into the South East section in exchange for Farnborough into the south west section, Farnborough being just west of the M25. That would solve the Peterborough problems you identify but be very unpopular in Farnborough).

No easy answers to the Bishops Stortford problem, which is serious.!

Spoonz Red E

I have some sympathy for Bishop's Stortford but, as mentioned in previous posts, with a geographical split some teams on the cusp will lose out.
Because of the weight of 'southern' teams overall it could be argued that most 'northern' teams regularly travel further over the season.

If Bishop Stortford's aim is to go for promotion they will need to set up as a club with potential national fixtures anyway.
Also, in previous seasons they've benefited by their proximity to so many other clubs in the South East.

Phil Sayers

Truro ground sold for housing. Waiting on the new Stadium for Cornwall, which will never happen. Can't see Truro moving back for some time.
Unfortunately, I rather fear that unless they can move home soon (and I can't see how they could) it will be the end of Truro City. Crowds while at Parkway are often sub 200.