• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

City v Argyle - Matchday Thread

Cowshed Grecian

I have no idea what happened with Harper on the match day, but Harper played really well at Peterborough in the 2nd half (Caldwell got his first sub completely wrong when McDonald went off, but ho hum), but curious by the contrasting statements being thrown around.

One thing, I think is a fair question from Saturday is that Caldwell spent all week telling us her understands what this game means, going overboard with it all tbh, then doesn't play the most natural available replacement for McDonald we have available in Harper and then says we where looking to the future, despite telling us how much this all means to us. I mean come on. Those 2 things / actions just do not match up at all. Especially as Kegs is only on loan and Joe White is a not ready for league one football and also only on loan. Unless there is a disciplinary issue or a financial issue, which if the club is trying to save some money, then I think most of us can understand that.

In fairness, the whole Harper situation has been weird under GC. Didn't get a kick in anger for 2-3 months, then randomly started at MK Dons (I think it was) from nowhere. I get that Harper won't be here next season and probably rightly so, But I would be exceptionally disappointed if we are genuinely looking at White for next season and Kegs should only be on a similar deal to this season as a squad player currently.

Hopefully get 3 points against Derby tomorrow evening. Otherwise we could very easily be looking at 6 defeats in a row prior to the Morecambe game. Tbh I would even take a point tomorrow night to just break up the defeats.
I’m not sure why you’re banging on about Harper like he’s the Messiah. Let’s be honest he’s had a couple of ok games but in general he’s been below average all season. Playing him against Argyle would have made absolutely no difference whatsoever to the performance or result.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
To be fair to GC, he said that looking forward to next season was one of reasons Harper was not included Saturday indicating there were others. Maybe Egg is right and there is a financial consideration, maybe it's something else. Obviously it isn't something GC wanted to make public at that time.

As for GC's comments about the game pre match, I don't see the problem. He stated how important it was to the fans and outlined what he wanted from the players drawing on his, not inconsiderable, derby experiences. It's what you would expect from any decent manager. He would have been much more slated on here if he had gone with the Ryan Lowe route to downplay it and dismiss it as any other game.

fred binneys head

I'm happy with what GC said before the game and after the game.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’m not sure why you’re banging on about Harper like he’s the Messiah. Let’s be honest he’s had a couple of ok games but in general he’s been below average all season. Playing him against Argyle would have made absolutely no difference whatsoever to the performance or result.
I don't rate Harper as the Messiah. I would've gotten rid of him in January and used the money differently.

Just in relation to the game Saturday Harper was a better option ahead of Kegs and certainly ahead of White

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm happy with what GC said before the game and after the game.
Agreed. FWIW, I thought his post-match analysis was absolutely spot on. Ultimately, whether GC will be able to get us playing the type of football he's aspiring to remains to be seen. However, it seems to me the fact that he can see so clearly where we fall short and aspires to better is cause for considerable optimism.

Grecian Max

I don't rate Harper as the Messiah. I would've gotten rid of him in January and used the money differently.

Just in relation to the game Saturday Harper was a better option ahead of Kegs and certainly ahead of White
White is a different player who isn’t comparable to Harper. Agree about Kegs though.

Both not great signings, one a panic signing who’s likely overpaid. Rare couple of misses for KMT.

Grecian Max

Agreed. FWIW, I thought his post-match analysis was absolutely spot on. Ultimately, whether GC will be able to get us playing the type of football he's aspiring to remains to be seen. However, it seems to me the fact that he can see so clearly where we fall short and aspires to better is cause for considerable optimism.
He already has done in a load of matches so I would argue it has been seen

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
He already has done in a load of matches so I would argue it has been seen
Don't disagree. I guess I meant whether he'll be able to get us playing the type of football to which he aspires on a consistent-enough basis to, say, challenge for the play-offs. I recognise that's a high bar, but it seems to me that's the challenge Gary is setting himself.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
White is a different player who isn’t comparable to Harper. Agree about Kegs though.

Both not great signings, one a panic signing who’s likely overpaid. Rare couple of misses for KMT.
I think Kegs cost the budget nothing which us why he's here. Agree Harper may have been a bit of a panic buy, but under Taylor he did get a run of games n look ok but tbh for the cost wasn't worth the outlay to what we got on the pitch, but certainly a better option on Saturday than Kegs

Although a different kind of midfielder, White just isn't ready

Last edited:

iscalad

I think Kegs cost the budget nothing which us why he's here. Agree Harper may have been a bit of a panic buy, but under Taylor he did get a run of games n look ok but tbh for the cost wasn't worth the outlay to what we got on the pitch
We didn't buy Harper.