• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Obituary Thread

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
Ryuichi Sakamoto. Japanese composer, 71.

DB9

Ryuichi Sakamoto. Japanese composer, 71.
Didn't he compose the theme to Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence and starred in it and I think also teamed up with David Sylvian of the short lived but brilliant early 80's group Japan?

fred binneys head

Yes to both. Forbidden Colours is a beautiful song.

Reactions: DB9

Oldsmobile-88

Ken Buchanan(77) Boxer

Undisputed World Lightweight Champion in the early 1970s. Arguably Scotland’s greatest Boxer.
For some of us of a certain age, memorable bout highlights that were shown on Sportsnight.

iscalad

Nigel Lawson aged 91.

Mr Jinx

Didn't he compose the theme to Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence and starred in it and I think also teamed up with David Sylvian of the short lived but brilliant early 80's group Japan?
A true pioneer. Not quite up there with Vangelis and Moroder, but he helped to push the envelope with electronic music in the eighties and beyond. He was so much more than the song (and filmtrack) which I guess came to define him: Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence. Yes, he did do a tie up with David Sylvian; here's a vocal version of the aforementioned soundtrack:

Reactions: DB9

Grecian2K

Seymour Stein 80.
Co founder of the Sire Record label, who nurtured artists right through from Chicken Shack right through to The Ramones and Madonna.

Alistair20000

Nigel Lawson aged 91.
A Chancellor who helped transform the basket case UK economy of the dismal 1970's to one that was vibrant, where enterprise and hard work was properly rewarded and without the preposterous and penal tax rates of the Wilson/Callaghan years that did so much damage. He was also politically astute and was the only minister brave enough to tell Mrs T that the Poll Tax was intellectually a great idea but would be politically disastrous.

As with all Chancellors who don't get out in time the British economy finally did for him when he lost control of the economy as it accelerated out of control. The so called Lawson boom.... and bust.

A formidable Chancellor. Some argue the best since Gladstone

RIP

iscalad

A Chancellor who helped transform the basket case UK economy of the dismal 1970's to one that was vibrant, where enterprise and hard work was properly rewarded and without the preposterous and penal tax rates of the Wilson/Callaghan years that did so much damage. He was also politically astute and was the only minister brave enough to tell Mrs T that the Poll Tax was intellectually a great idea but would be politically disastrous.

As with all Chancellors who don't get out in time the British economy finally did for him when he lost control of the economy as it accelerated out of control. The so called Lawson boom.... and bust.

A formidable Chancellor. Some argue the best since Gladstone

RIP
As I recall, hardly ever, if ever, put up the price of a pint.

lamrobhero

Nigel Lawson

The heavy lifting of the Thatcher revolution was done by Geoffrey Howe - removing exchange controls - planning to raise taxes and cut public spending in the face of a recession.
The transformation of the City was initiated by a bureaucrat head of a quango.
I may stand to be corrected but I do not believe that Government spending reduced so if Mr Lawson reduced taxes on income and capital he either raised stealth taxes or increased borrowing or relied on North Sea oil revenues (See Norway for an alternative approach).
I am not sure of his role in privitisation.
Mr Lawson's downfall came from trying to (secretly) manage the foreign exchange rate - an obvious mistake.

Last edited: