• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Josh Key...

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster

The Exeter-born wing-back has been a bit of a victim of Gary Caldwell’s changes in recent months. Since January, he’s had dropped out of the starting XI on a few occasions after previously being one of the first names in the teamsheet and has been played in some unorthodox roles in midfield.

A bright future is ahead for Key and some would certainly argue bigger things than a Barnsley move could be ahead for the Exeter City man. With his contract up this summer though, Key’s future is in his own hands and he could be a great fit for Michael Duff’s side, so if Williams is to be tempted away, he could be a perfect addition for the Tykes.

I promise I didn't write the article ;)😜🤣

I do think Key will have a number of options this summer and Hopefully the compensation package will be reasonable and with a decent sell on.

Last edited:

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster

The Exeter-born wing-back has been a bit of a victim of Gary Caldwell’s changes in recent months. Since January, he’s had dropped out of the starting XI on a few occasions after previously being one of the first names in the teamsheet and has been played in some unorthodox roles in midfield.

A bright future is ahead for Key and some would certainly argue bigger things than a Barnsley move could be ahead for the Exeter City man. With his contract up this summer though, Key’s future is in his own hands and he could be a great fit for Michael Duff’s side, so if Williams is to be tempted away, he could be a perfect addition for the Tykes.

I promise I didn't write the article ;)😜🤣

I do think Key will have a number of options this summer and Hopefully the compensation package will be reasonable and with a decent sell on.
We are between a rock and a hard place in relation to Josh (as well as Archie) in that I'm sure Gary would like to keep both even for one more season. However, as a club that is over reliant on transfer sales not cashing in on tribunal fees for both would leave a sizeable hole in the club's forecasted transfer income that is essential if our model is to survive and we are to compete in L1. So for me seeing Josh depart for pastures new wont be adios and good riddance but thanks for everything you have provided us with good service .... even if you have frustrated us frequently :)

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
We are between a rock and a hard place in relation to Josh (as well as Archie) in that I'm sure Gary would like to keep both even for one more season. However, as a club that is over reliant on transfer sales not cashing in on tribunal fees for both would leave a sizeable hole in the club's forecasted transfer income that is essential if our model is to survive and we are to compete in L1. So for me seeing Josh depart for pastures new wont be adios and good riddance but thanks for everything you have provided us with good service .... even if you have frustrated us frequently :)
I quite agree with this summary. Both have been excellent for us over the last few years and whilst I would rather they stayed, I think both need to move there careers up a level than we can offer.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
The decision may well be taken out of our hands. We can't stop Josh leaving and then the Tribunal determines the fee. That's what I see happening (or an agreement on fee reached before the Tribunal takes place)

I did suggest earlier in the season that Barnsley was a likely/possible destination for one of our academy graduates. Barnsley would have been impressed by our 2-0 win away there after they had been on a fabulous run (but it was Archie I had in mind!)

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
I’d disagree that Key has been excellent. Very good in the season without crowds but was often our weak link last season and this one… well… he reminds me of a playground footballer, head down and run until tackled, repeat. Has got a rep because he’s a city player and Sunderland were after him (we should have taken it) so will get a move upwards, before he ends up in League 2.

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
The decision may well be taken out of our hands. We can't stop Josh leaving and then the Tribunal determines the fee. That's what I see happening (or an agreement on fee reached before the Tribunal takes place)

I did suggest earlier in the season that Barnsley was a likely/possible destination for one of our academy graduates. Barnsley would have been impressed by our 2-0 win away there after they had been on a fabulous run (but it was Archie I had in mind!)
It will however be interesting if prospective clubs want to take the risk of letting the fees for Josh and Archie go to a tribunal. I would think City would be able to provide quite a compelling case for both Josh and Archie in terms of their value in the current market. Some clubs may be worried about this as once a tribunal sets the fee they are not able to back out of the deal. I think we as a club will be far more comfortable having the fee decided by a tribunal than prospective buyers.

The fact that apparently we have offered both extremely good deals to stay will also help City's case, as will any bids that they have rejected in the past for both players.

The ideal situation would be that both sign a minimum 2 year deal with a release clause in there so that we are safe guarded in terms of getting a fee, but also that the players interests are also looked after in that they could still leave if the clause was met. I'm sure the club has probably tried this though, and as things stand it does not look like either will be signing.

It will certainly be interesting to see how all this plays out this summer!

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
It will however be interesting if prospective clubs want to take the risk of letting the fees for Josh and Archie go to a tribunal. I would think City would be able to provide quite a compelling case for both Josh and Archie in terms of their value in the current market. Some clubs may be worried about this as once a tribunal sets the fee they are not able to back out of the deal. I think we as a club will be far more comfortable having the fee decided by a tribunal than prospective buyers.

The fact that apparently we have offered both extremely good deals to stay will also help City's case, as will any bids that they have rejected in the past for both players.

The ideal situation would be that both sign a minimum 2 year deal with a release clause in there so that we are safe guarded in terms of getting a fee, but also that the players interests are also looked after in that they could still leave if the clause was met. I'm sure the club has probably tried this though, and as things stand it does not look like either will be signing.

It will certainly be interesting to see how all this plays out this summer!
Agree with that summation Benji. Two year deals as you say would be beneficial to the club as one year deals ensure both leave for free which we can ill afford to do. However, both will leave with our good wishes. Our reputation for developing players as well as the number of games both have played should be reflected in potential tribunal fees therefore it will inevitably put off a number of clubs from even enquiring (Mansfield anyone lol). I guess it all depends on whether a club higher up the pyramid feel Josh and Archie are capable of developing further and whilst I don't believe either will follow Ollie Watkins development other coaches will see something in both they feel will lead to a higher future re-sale. I think the club will settle at a fee around 300k for Josh and 500k for Archie. As they say you heard it here first.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree with that summation Benji. Two year deals as you say would be beneficial to the club as one year deals ensure both leave for free which we can ill afford to do. However, both will leave with our good wishes. Our reputation for developing players as well as the number of games both have played should be reflected in potential tribunal fees therefore it will inevitably put off a number of clubs from even enquiring (Mansfield anyone lol). I guess it all depends on whether a club higher up the pyramid feel Josh and Archie are capable of developing further and whilst I don't believe either will follow Ollie Watkins development other coaches will see something in both they feel will lead to a higher future re-sale. I think the club will settle at a fee around 300k for Josh and 500k for Archie. As they say you heard it here first.
Not sure about those fees. Think the club will be looking for as least as much, if not more, for Josh as Archie.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure about those fees. Think the club will be looking for as least as much, if not more, for Josh as Archie.
Archie has played a lot more games and been captain hence my higher valuation. Different players and I would have thought a cenner midfielder would be viwed higher than a wingback but it's all a matter of opinions :)

ExmouthMart

Really?! Key is going backwards. Collins will be a much bigger loss. Key is a ‘squad’ player. As someone mentioned Key runs around till he loses the ball or gets tackled. A bit like Sparkes not happening at this level. If we are serious about sustaining League One football we need to make some changes and that will come with players out of contract, moving on or being moved on.