• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Wycombe Wanderers v Exeter City Match Day Thread.

Topsham Boy

I was at the game today and for large parts of it we were the better side. GC swapped in Harper for Stansfield I guess to protect the defence more, but it left us with 3 very defensive CMs and little support for Nombe. Hartridge made a silly mistake and we got punished but we didn't lose our heads and still played well for the remainder of the match. I think most of us knew that Stansfield would be on at some point and we looked very dangerous when he came on and his play lead to the goal, but Nombe also played a big part in that goal. Mitchell played well he was unlucky not to score, sad to say this but Sparkes is not going to get back in to the team, Mitchell is a clear upgrade. Collins was quiet. 1-1 was probably the fair result as although we dominated possession for most of the game, Wycombe did carve out some good chances, they hit the post and had a couple of breakaways towards the end of the game. What is clear is that GC is starting to settle on the best XI while also only making 1 change from relegation team at home to playoff contender away which hopefully suggests that the tinkering will stop. Although McDonald scored he had a quietish game, he showed a bit of a tendency to drop into a CB position which I don't know if it was GCs decision but left us short in midfield a lot. We have to have the confidence to let the back 3 defend and try and support Nombe as without Brown or Stansfield on the pitch we will never score that many goals.
Completely agree with this. 1-1 was a fair result….after a terrible start by us. I was at the game and thought we played well, and in fairness both sides had some good chances to win it. We definitely have a problem in the final third….not enough direct play or support for Nombe. Stanno made a big difference when he came on.
Ref was poor….made a number of wrong decisions.
Overall an entertaining game and happy with the point though with a more direct style up front could have won it.

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
That was a good game to watch and after a tricky period results wise, this is the game and the performance that has given me confidence that City will be playing L1 football next season. Some of the interplay and passing was very good. Just got to stop the silly mistakes and get some shooting practice. A bit more composure in front of goal would go a long way.

Full marks for the City supporters, loud and proud. One moment I wasn't so proud of them was when some Wycombe youngsters to the left of the stand we were in started singing (made more noise that any other Wycombe supporters btw). In response, the chant went up "what the frucking hell is that"....c'mon guys, they are only kids. Not our best moment of the afternoon IMHO.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
He has made this sort of pass on a number of occasions this season. Seeing a pass that maybe others don't see. A real strong part of his game I feel. I remember his pass for Sam's goal down at Argyle. Outstanding
Indeed, it reminded me of this crucial pass against Peterborough.

Best game I've seen Key have in a long time - both defensively and attacking. The Wycombe fans I met after the game all picked him out. In the first half he combined really well with Harper. The latter also did OK - I know that may not be a popular opinion.

GC made the switch with Stanno coming on for Harper at just the right time. His impact reminded me of the Bristol Rovers away game - Stanno's pace and directness will make a lot of L1 defences uncomfortable during the last 30 mins of matches when legs are tiring.

Squeezebox

That performance reminded me of Sunday mornings matches in Devon & exeter League with a biased club ref in charge.
Reminds me of a Sunday League match when at the coin toss, I said to the ref - "Oh Hi Uncle Ray, didn't know you were reffing!!" To be fair, not a hint of bias in his performance!

JW57++

Does anyone know who the commentator was on the iFollow extended highlights?
He seemed genuinely excited to have seen such a good game

Larry Wilkie

Indeed, it reminded me of this crucial pass against Peterborough.
Love it. That celebration too 😊

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
Another point gained putting us on 43 points.

Using the formula - points per game so far x 46 games plus 3 extra 'unexpected win' points to each team the bottom 4 at end of season is headed this way.
Morecambe 46
MK Dons 42
Cambridge 42
Forest Green 33

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
That was the most entertaining City have played in the past few matches I have seen from them.Something that particularly frustrated during the Bowman years was how frequently City failed to get bodies forward quickly enough, but there was clearly intent to make more effort to put pressure on the opposition defence yesterday. Not too fussed about Mitchell and Harper missing chances.Would prefer them to have a go than constantly recycle the ball round the penalty box boring everyone into submission. We need to settle on a strategy so that Nombe has the best understanding with the players around him.It only needs a few minor adjustments, if someone can persuade Caldwell not to make too many radical changes ,we might be able to put a run together.

Hartridge was rattled by that mistake that led to that early goal.That unnecessary tangle with Aimson that almost led to a goal shouldn't happen.He redeemed himself taking that yellow for the team though.Aimson has to get into the face of the ref when he is so bad.Thought we were too soft on the mess that ref was making.Aimson is the captain ,he needs to be more commanding in a situation like that.The half time team talk must have been good from Caldwell because we were much more aware and tighter on the opposion in our box after break.He must be pulling his hair out that we cant do it over 90 minutes.Miller needs a few sessions with Woods.Although he looks very calm and assured, I havent seen such wayward kicking since Jokull was here.

That was a good step forward yesterday, let's have a few more now.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting in reading the Wycombe forum that they were equally scathing about the ref. Inept then rather than a homer perhaps?