• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

League 1 News 22-23

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grecianman135

Plymouth Argyle: £21m Brickfields plans for new youth academy unveiled... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64811721

Genuinely quite concerned about this,as with that backing and those facilities they'll snap all local talent up in a heart beat ..

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
Plymouth Argyle: £21m Brickfields plans for new youth academy unveiled... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64811721

Genuinely quite concerned about this,as with that backing and those facilities they'll snap all local talent up in a heart beat ..
Yeah this is really concerning.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster

Plymouth council again investing loads of money into PAFC. £7.3m from the local council.

How much money has the council thrown at Argyle over the years? I see the council will retain ownership of the site, Albion and the womans team will play from there.

But in fairness to Argyle, this project is massively ambitious and in keeping with their owners plans for growth to make the club sustainable longer term.

Unfortunately this will impact on us though, Although hopefully we should still be able to produce good local talent for our first team and future sales etc.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
That pesky outside evil investment again

denzel

Plymouth council again investing loads of money into PAFC. £7.3m from the local council.

How much money has the council thrown at Argyle over the years? I see the council will retain ownership of the site, Albion and the womans team will play from there.

But in fairness to Argyle, this project is massively ambitious and in keeping with their owners plans for growth to make the club sustainable longer term.

Unfortunately this will impact on us though, Although hopefully we should still be able to produce good local talent for our first team and future sales etc.
It doesn't say 7.3mn from the council, it says that's from external funding with PCC putting in the rest, which I estimate at 2.7mn, and I imagine that's for the whole sporting complex, not just Argyle
Still a lot if money if you are a council tax payer in Plymouth struggling to pay the bills

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
It doesn't say 7.3mn from the council, it says that's from external funding with PCC putting in the rest, which I estimate at 2.7mn.
Still a lot if money if you are a council tax payer in Plymouth struggling to pay the bills
Sorry I misread that part. Still though, over the years PCC seem to have done a lot of deals with PAFC or am I being a bit harsh?

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nothing we can do about it. Just need to keep demonstrating the value we can provide local talent through maintaining a good percentage of homegrown players in our squads moving forward.

andrew p long

We are now currently 11 points clear of Accrington but they have 2 games in hand on us. Morecambe (5th bottom) are 11 points behind with the same games played but a much worse GD of -21 compared t0 our +1, which is worth another point. Port Vale, Oxford, MK Dons & FGR have now all played a game more than us.
Somewhat pedantically I think the benefits of a good goal difference are often slightly overstated - in two ways.

First GD is never worth a whole point, because if we finish one point behind another team we don't draw level with them - however massively better our goal difference is. Better to say 'almost a point' or 'others would need one point more to overtake us'

Secondly our goal difference may sound massively better than Morecambe's at 22 goals ...but GD only comes into play if Morecambe catch up 11 points on us. To do that they would have to W3 D2 when we L5 (or they W4 when we L4) If the average win/defeat involved is by two goals then Morecambe catch up GD of 16 (which is within striking distance, especially if you get final day outcomes like Bristol Rovers last season) In other words, if a gap of points is closed there is almost always a simultaneous effect significantly reducing the GD gap .

iscalad

Nothing we can do about it. Just need to keep demonstrating the value we can provide local talent through maintaining a good percentage of homegrown players in our squads moving forward.
It happens
Purrington and Cooper both Exeter born went to Argyle academy.

dontpassback

That pesky outside evil investment again
you have to give credit to simon hallet,under the non developer previously.they were going now where,hallett has come in and put his money up,and things are looking up for them.that said,i would love to see them bottle it again and end up in the play offs :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.