• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Energy Prices

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Perhaps this should be on the "little things that annoy you" thread but, as our current deal Octopus deal comes to an end just trying to get even current price breakdowns from the energy gougers at the moment for comparison purposes. 😡

None of the "comparison" sites will even touch energy at the moment and all the direct suppliers seem to want you to drill through screen after screen just to provide a basic overall estimate (often based on totally incorrect usage assumptions from themselves)...and only that after harvesting most of your personal information.

Surely just postcode and (your own recorded) usage info should be enough to provide a simple, basic quote of current unit and standing charges...not just an invite to "change to us and it MIGHT only cost £x,XXX per month on your direct debit".

If the evil Ofgem really want to treat the poor consumer with some degree of equality if would put a ban on all this opaque pricing and, perhaps, even provide its own online spreadsheet of current price breakdowns.

iscalad

tavyred

angelic upstart

France has 56 (ageing!) nuclear power plants? 😱
In five years we'll have one if the new one isn't finished by then.
Was eight, five years ago.

tavyred

In five years we'll have one if the new one isn't finished by then.
Was eight, five years ago.
Apologies, I was suggesting that number of ageing plants was a negative not a positive, I also never knew France had so many.

Alistair20000

Apologies, I was suggesting that number of ageing plants was a negative not a positive, I also never knew France had so many.
France was big on nuclear energy once as it saw the importance of energy security.

The useless Francois Hollande changed that.

Grecian2K

France was big on nuclear energy once as it saw the importance of energy security.

The useless Francois Hollande changed that.
I suspect that the well publicised incidents at Three Mile island, Chernobyl and Fukushima (to name but three) might also had some deterrent?
However, in fairness, as the attached list shows, over the decades the number of fatalities globally has been surprisingly low, given the extreme potential hazards of nuclear.
List of nuclear power accidents by country - Wikipedia

Alistair20000

I suspect that the well publicised incidents at Three Mile island, Chernobyl and Fukushima (to name but three) might also had some deterrent?
However, in fairness, as the attached list shows, over the decades the number of fatalities globally has been surprisingly low, given the extreme potential hazards of nuclear.
List of nuclear power accidents by country - Wikipedia
To be honest G2K nuclear scares me half to death even if it is clean and cheap.

iscalad

To be honest G2K nuclear scares me half to death even if it is clean and cheap.
So, you have a sort of half-life.

Oldsmobile-88