• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Energy Prices

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
So, you have a sort of half-life.
That's right - he supports Somerset and Hampshire !

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Every little help, as they say but we still need a more significant drop to help get inflation down further.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Had a visit from Octopus yesterday. A PR visit. Checking that all was well after we were moved from Bulb. Said that energy prices should be going down soon and didn't try and foist us with a smart meter. Quite impressed

Grecian2K

Well, the glorious 1st July has arrived and, as promised, the unit rates on our variable tariff have dropped (slightly) - even taking into account the previous "energy support"
Gas has gone from 10p to 8p per unit and Leccy 33p to 30p
Unfortunately this has been somewhat offset by another sly uplift in those iniquitous and unjust standing charges. 26p to 28p per day for gas and 54p to 57p for electric. :mad:

What "Ofgem" giveth with one hand the energy industry taketh back with the other.

And, even though the so-called "market" is supposed to becoming more competitive again it's still nigh on impossible to find and forward fixes or even easily check comparative variable rates in those one-stop "supermarket" shops without divulging your entire personal details.

Grecian2K

Had a visit from Octopus yesterday. A PR visit. Checking that all was well after we were moved from Bulb. Said that energy prices should be going down soon and didn't try and foist us with a smart meter. Quite impressed
Sadly, I'm somewhat unimpressed with Octopus all of a sudden.
We have spotted a quite significant (£200+) discrepancy now that they have started to take "smart" meter readings rather that the ones showing on the display of our electric meter.
Despite us still regularly submitting customer readings they still persist in using the ones that they think are now correct.
And, ironically, the difference is actually in OUR favour at the moment. The concern is that if/when we decide to move to another supplier the difference will finally be reconciled and they will suddenly try to land us with a stonking great bill for the "arrears" - even though my understanding is that Ofgem regs state that they cannot go back more than a year to pursue payments and we have documentary proof that the original error dates right back to their first "smart" reading in Jan 2022.
Telephone calls to try and resolve this have been fruitless with just a demand that unless we send a photo of the meter they can't look into it further. This despite us trying to tell them that the meter is in a very inaccessible location and that it is virtually impossible to get a clear photo of it (even with a decent camera!).
We have replied asking them to sent one of the people round (from the "PR" department of otherwise) to write down the details they need - we'll even provide a step ladder for them get to the device - but so far have not had the courtesy of a reply. So there the matter rests.
I hasten to add that, up to now, we have found Octopus to be an exemplary supplier so it is rather a shame that an untrained drone in a distant call centre has done such potential damage due to a lack of either interest and/or training.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Heard from my energy supplier today. Good to know we're on first name terms.

Colesman Ballz

Heard from my energy supplier today. Good to know we're on first name terms.
I just call all mine Richards !

tavyred

And, even though the so-called "market" is supposed to becoming more competitive again it's still nigh on impossible to find and forward fixes or even easily check comparative variable rates in those one-stop "supermarket" shops without divulging your entire personal details.
On the subject of fixes G2K, we’ve just gone with an Octopus 1 yr fixed coming in at £140pm for both gas and leccy.
Chances are that we maybe get undercut if the prices go down further in the autumn/winter but I’m finding solace in the fact that our payment at least will not go up if things go pear-shaped in the global energy markets. 👍

Grecian2K

On the subject of fixes G2K, we’ve just gone with an Octopus 1 yr fixed coming in at £140pm for both gas and leccy.
Chances are that we maybe get undercut if the prices go down further in the autumn/winter but I’m finding solace in the fact that our payment at least will not go up if things go pear-shaped in the global energy markets. 👍
Thanks for the heads up there Tavs. We're still on their variable tariff but will check out the above rates.
To Octopus's credit over the past few months they do seem to have passed on price reductions without being prompted. The only slight worry we've got is that, when going to "smart" metering (as opposed to us submitting readings) back in February 2021 they are consistently under-reading our electricity by around 700 units compared with what is showing on the meter itself. We've tried to alert them to this discrepancy but they are insistent that their reading is correct! While it is pleasing to know the difference to in out favour (to the value of about £200!), and our belief that they cannot now chase any due money under the "12 month" rule it is a little concerning that if/when we choose to change supplier we might suddenly get hit at the time that we switch.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
A small drop in the cap, but no winter subsidy. Times are still going to be hard.