• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

StudentGrecian

He was a squad player, got injured, went to Bath for a month for fitness purposes, and now he's back.
Still a squad player, so no need to get too down as he is unlikely to be first choice too often.
Seems a shame to bring him back to warm the bench when he’s been flourishing! We have enough up top to cover, unless someone else is going.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Ah!....... the penny is dropping? Answer: I suspect 'Yes' - unless happy to remain forever League 2, with the odd skirmish in League 1 like present.

However, the safety net of fan ownership should not be taken lightly and any venture with a sponsor(s) should be with a huge amount of care and due diligence........ but I strongly suspect the right persons are out there.

I suspect at the moment our closed-shop stance scares most suitors away.

I now sit back to await the views of the 'charity shop' Trust management looking for their next donation, while our other high street neighbours prosper and exponentially grow leaving us further and further behind. I'm NOT knocking the Trust, they are and have done an extraordinary job under difficult circumstances over a number of years/decades............ but has the time come?

It will when we're ready - I hope.
I have been banging the drum many times that the time to consider anything and everything regards the ownership of our club should be at a time of strength. Our position has never been stronger than now in our stable period under Trust ownership. I equally believe there are potential investors out there not of the Wrexham type but potentially investors who could share ownerhip. However, I would take some convincing that an outright sale would bring many significant benefits in the short term. The only comparably sized club I can consider that moved from Trust to private ownership has been Wycombe. They get similar sized gates to us and their Trust retains 25% of the shareholding. The owner since 2020 has pumped millions into the club but they sit just 6 places above us in the table. They are an established L1 club and have had time in the Championship but I would imagine were a more attractive proposition to the owner given their close proximity to London. I'm really not so sure that we would be quite so attractive an option but if someone of the ilk of Rob Couhig came forth I really hope we would have the gonads to at least discuss the possibility.

Fareham Grecian

I agree and am sorry to say that is exactly the correct word.
Only if you have no idea what ‘fatal’ means

Fareham Grecian

Ah!....... the penny is dropping? Answer: I suspect 'Yes' - unless happy to remain forever League 2, with the odd skirmish in League 1 like present.

However, the safety net of fan ownership should not be taken lightly and any venture with a sponsor(s) should be with a huge amount of care and due diligence........ but I strongly suspect the right persons are out there.

I suspect at the moment our closed-shop stance scares most suitors away.

I now sit back to await the views of the 'charity shop' Trust management looking for their next donation, while our other high street neighbours prosper and exponentially grow leaving us further and further behind. I'm NOT knocking the Trust, they are and have done an extraordinary job under difficult circumstances over a number of years/decades............ but has the time come?

It will when we're ready - I hope.
🤣🤣🤣
Even ignoring whether we want to ever be privately owned again - in view of the fact that it was a total disaster before, that was within a couple of days of us ceasing to exist…

Why do you think ‘the right persons are out there’? They haven’t been in 119 years! And football club ownership has got much more venal in recent years. We have always hoped for a fairy godmother/father - but they don’t exist for a club like us. It’s all about potential (for making money), and we have no great untapped potential.

We are in the great position - almost unique - that we are self sufficient. Why would anyone risk that?

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
For me, the biggest problem with going back to private ownership is that even if you get it right 'choosing' the first new owners, then get lucky with the second, third and fourth owners, it only takes one bad apple (5, 6, 7 owners down the line) to send the club under.

Having a football league club in Exeter city centre to support each weekend for the rest of forever remains my priority. And nothing serves that better than Trust ownership.

You can only sell something once.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
It would be nice to somehow maintain the momentum gained from one of our promotions. The size of the city is growing and there seems more of an appetite to watch professional sport. Nobody is knocking trust ownership just a sense of frustration that we're never seemingly going to be able to make that next step of being a top 10 side in this division.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
For me, the biggest problem with going back to private ownership is that even if you get it right 'choosing' the first new owners, then get lucky with the second, third and fourth owners, it only takes one bad apple (5, 6, 7 owners down the line) to send the club under.

Having a football league club in Exeter city centre to support each weekend for the rest of forever remains my priority. And nothing serves that better than Trust ownership.

You can only sell something once.
unless you set in stone a buy back clause

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
My memory may be playing tricks but didn't there used to be a rule where you could only have 5 non UK players in Premiership games ?
That would also help our academy.
UTC
It was for European games. Teams were only allowed to play a set number of overseas players, possibly 5. I remember Man Utd used to bench Schmeichel for the European games to allow an extra outfield overseas player.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was for European games. Teams were only allowed to play a set number of overseas players, possibly 5. I remember Man Utd used to bench Schmeichel for the European games to allow an extra outfield overseas player.
Snoop according to Wiki I think it was wider than that.
Interesting that Wiki note that "It is also intended to reduce the increasing gap between the big and small football clubs. " - now what would us Grecians like ?
UTC

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm certain that GC will want to impose players he wants in his first transfer window. If no one comes in, it must only be that funds are being denied. Which, given the income from Jay, Dieng, and the increased crowds, is depressing.