• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
We clearly have an issue in that we aren’t competitive wage wise. We had a good summer after Covid due to other clubs struggling but this is the third window in the row where it’s been bleak asf.

Reading about he £4m injection from a set of US investors who look the real deal down at Argyle has got me depressed. I like the idea of fan ownership but have we reached the limit?
Probably because I live in a place with a team now called Loangyle I'm more depressed than you Max.
Without proceeds from an FA Cup run or Olliemonies it looks like we can't compete on the same playing field as the "big boys" with investment backing which is a real shame for the future of fan involvement in football plus will lead to more Bury's.
Shame the government review didn't force through salary capping and better rewarding feeder clubs like us.
UTC

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Probably because I live in a place with a team now called Loangyle I'm more depressed than you Max.
Without proceeds from an FA Cup run or Olliemonies it looks like we can't compete on the same playing field as the "big boys" with investment backing which is a real shame for the future of fan involvement in football plus will lead to more Bury's.
Shame the government review didn't force through salary capping and better rewarding feeder clubs like us.
UTC
Salary capping would mean all the best players moving abroad.

Colesman Ballz

That could increase the demand for our academy products and push our transfer income up ! :)

milts

Doubtful at our level

iscalad

Doubtful at our level
Would you be able to just cap the EFL?

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
That could increase the demand for our academy products and push our transfer income up ! :)
My memory may be playing tricks but didn't there used to be a rule where you could only have 5 non UK players in Premiership games ?
That would also help our academy.
UTC

milts

Would you be able to just cap the EFL?
I dont see why you couldnt. The EFL is so far detached from the premier league these days anyway

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
We clearly have an issue in that we aren’t competitive wage wise. We had a good summer after Covid due to other clubs struggling but this is the third window in the row where it’s been bleak asf.

Reading about he £4m injection from a set of US investors who look the real deal down at Argyle has got me depressed. I like the idea of fan ownership but have we reached the limit?
Max, it's natural to conclude that being seemingly uncompetitive in the transfer window equates to considering a change of ownership model. However, it's just not so black and white as that. OK we can't seemingly compete with the likes of FGR or even Mansfield or Salford but the likes of Plymouth and the rest of the Top 10 will always be able to out bid us private ownership or Trust ownership because our turnover is, always has been, and always will be massively smaller when you get gates like ours. WE can still compete with the bottom half of L1 it's not all bad news but investment necessary to compete with the top 10 in this division will never ever be possible

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Max, it's natural to conclude that being seemingly uncompetitive in the transfer window equates to considering a change of ownership model. However, it's just not so black and white as that. OK we can't seemingly compete with the likes of FGR or even Mansfield or Salford but the likes of Plymouth and the rest of the Top 10 will always be able to out bid us private ownership or Trust ownership because our turnover is, always has been, and always will be massively smaller when you get gates like ours. WE can still compete with the bottom half of L1 it's not all bad news but investment necessary to compete with the top 10 in this division will never ever be possible
Sad but very true…..generally over the decades Argyle have been too good for level three football but not quite good enough for level two and on occasions have been very poorly run.

They are now a well run Club with significant improvements on and off the pitch and with the new stadium, a much larger catchment area and fan base if promoted at the end of the season have real potential to establish themselves as a Championship Club and from there who knows.

That said we are a very special Club in so many ways with so much to be proud of so let’s keep our spirits up and stick with what we are doing……UTC.

rifraf

Ah!....... the penny is dropping? Answer: I suspect 'Yes' - unless happy to remain forever League 2, with the odd skirmish in League 1 like present.

However, the safety net of fan ownership should not be taken lightly and any venture with a sponsor(s) should be with a huge amount of care and due diligence........ but I strongly suspect the right persons are out there.

I suspect at the moment our closed-shop stance scares most suitors away.

I now sit back to await the views of the 'charity shop' Trust management looking for their next donation, while our other high street neighbours prosper and exponentially grow leaving us further and further behind. I'm NOT knocking the Trust, they are and have done an extraordinary job under difficult circumstances over a number of years/decades............ but has the time come?

It will when we're ready - I hope.