• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Gary's January Transfer Window

robchave

Getting good players from other clubs is not going to be easy, especially if transfer fees are involved. Perhaps older players not currently involved at higher level clubs dropping down? Perhaps players wanting back from abroad? More likely loans from Championship/Premiership clubs.

ryancooper327

Where do we think Archie will be off to then? If he wanted to stay he would have already signed rather than that news article. Therefore makes sense to cash in now…

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Where do we think Archie will be off to then? If he wanted to stay he would have already signed rather than that news article. Therefore makes sense to cash in now…
We are entitled to compensation for Archie Collins at the end of the season due to him being under 24 and also we have offered him a contract worth the same or more. So we will get something for him if he leaves.

Same with Josh Key we will get compensation if he signs for another club as we have offered a new deal of equal or more.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
If he hasn't gone by the end of the month, I'd suggest he'll be signing a new contract before February is out (this is based on nothing more than a hunch).

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
If he hasn't gone by the end of the month, I'd suggest he'll be signing a new contract before February is out (this is based on nothing more than a hunch).
Collins is best served literally waiting till the end of the season unless something comes in January we and he cannot refuse. We aren't going to remove the contract offer from him because that would be plain stupidity from our viewpoint and he is not going to sign it it until he knows there is nothing better out there (Status, league and money wise).

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Collins is best served literally waiting till the end of the season unless something comes in January we and he cannot refuse. We aren't going to remove the contract offer from him because that would be plain stupidity from our viewpoint and he is not going to sign it it until he knows there is nothing better out there (Status, league and money wise).
The other thing is how other clubs see him. We all think he is playing wonderfully this season, no doubt he is, but has he really shone out above anybody we've played against where he looks a class apart? I'd suggest not really.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
The other thing is how other clubs see him. We all think he is playing wonderfully this season, no doubt he is, but has he really shone out above anybody we've played against where he looks a class apart? I'd suggest not really.
Only game that happended where I though that boy can play a league higher was Port Vale away where he ran the show. He is however integral to how we play

Cowshed Grecian

Exactly we are not the only side in L1 to have a top midfielder like Archie, there’s a lot of them about. I thought Archie got schooled by Couttes against Bristol Rovers in fairness

ryancooper327

Sounds like incoming(s) fairly swiftly judging by GCs post match presser. Stressing the additions rather than outgoings.

Exactly we are not the only side in L1 to have a top midfielder like Archie, there’s a lot of them about. I thought Archie got schooled by Couttes against Bristol Rovers in fairness
I think we often underestimate Archie and take him for granted.
He plays in a system with wingbacks which leaves him outnumbered in centre midfield. At 23 he's played 200 games and often (take today for example) is the senior midfielder in a very inexperienced three.
He has a wonderful engine, can tackle, is a decent passer and scores goals (5 this season, I think).
Add to this, he seems sensible, has no obvious vices and is a dedicated team man.

On the downside, his interview technique needs some polishing.