• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Matt Taylor Leaving? Has left!

supernova

if I was Taylor I would hold on and wait for a bigger and better established club than Rotherham to come along. They’re not tradionally big boys and no chance will they get in the Prem. a lose lose in the long run. If it was QPR or even Preston it would be worth a punt

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well, that escalated quickly. It's only 3 days since Matt Taylor was laughing at the idea he might be joining Rotherham and even before the match yesterday there didn't seem to be much serious chatter about the prospect of him leaving. I'm a little surprised that he seems to be leaving mid-season and so soon after the birth of his first child. However, the prospect of moving closer to his family, challenge himself profesionally and earn a bit more cash is understandably very tempting. And if he does go, I think almost every City fan will be wishing him all the very best after the outstanding job he has done over the last 4 and a bit years.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Isn’t that the same andy woodman,who got sent off playing for us,and then slagged us off in a book he co wrote with his buddy southgate,no thanks !
The comments he made about the way the club was run at the time and it's lack of support for young players were completely justified. So many promising players turned up at City in the mid to later 90's, looked promising for a few games and then never played professionally again; ironically, Andy Woodman was one of the few who went on to have a decent career. I've no idea what type of manager he is and whether he would be a good fit for us but I'm absolutely here for the Andy Woodman redemption story if it happens.

CraigECFC

It’s really bad news if Taylor leaves. The warning signs were clearly there in his interviews towards the end of the window when the club wasn’t willing to invest what he wanted/needed.

The real positive of this season was that we kept everyone from our promotion, this included the coaching staff. I really don’t think half the players would have stayed if Matt Taylor wasn’t around. I also don’t think Jay would’ve come back if it wasn’t for Taylor. With the departure of Dan Green there’s a not opportunity for continuation from within as we know it. It’s definitely a scary thought for an Exeter fan that we’d have to start over in a new league in a possible outdated model that can only take us so far. This is an unknown for a lot of fans if Taylor leaves and who knows what direction we go from here.

Memphis09

Course it is. He’s taken us as far as he can. His stock is high. Why wouldn’t it be the right fit? He would be a fool not to go.
I think if Matt was going to club that had the potential to be in the premiership then yes go but Rotherham no chance

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Got to be Dan Green.
Do what needs to be done City and get him back from the Villa.
Continuity is the City way. 👍

Memphis09

I would be giving the ex Watford manager a call !
To many to choose from lol

jimmy

Got to be Dan Green.
Do what needs to be done City and get him back from the Villa.
Continuity is the City way. 👍
Of course I have no inside knowledge, but I would imagine it would take a mutual agreement from Villa to do this. He has just signed a contract with them.

Not sure if there is any reason why Villa would disrupt their youth set-up, even if it was the right thing for Dan Green and City.

Memphis09

Bonner from Cambridge was offered the job and turned them down !
That’s a shame
Matt would be there scoundrel choice then
For that reason I would definitely not take it

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Of course I have no inside knowledge, but I would imagine it would take a mutual agreement from Villa to do this. He has just signed a contract with them.

Not sure if there is any reason why Villa would disrupt their youth set-up, even if it was the right thing for Dan Green and City.
Two things, Dan would have to want to come back obviously and I’m not sure Villa would want to stand too much in the way of a young coach getting a massive break like getting a league one managers job.