• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

*OFF* Charlton Athletic V Exeter City Sat 10th September 2022 Discussion and Prediction thread

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I hope the stewards and other support staff will still get paid?

The deluder

I hope the stewards and other support staff will still get paid?
I’m surely the royal family will pay for any lost income from their state benefits.

DJG.ECFC

Blatant classism calling off the working class sports football and boxing but allowing the middle class sports of rugby and cricket to continue tomorrow.

Boyo

Blatant classism calling off the working class sports football and boxing but allowing the middle class sports of rugby and cricket to continue tomorrow.
It was down to the individual sporting authorities to decide, it's nothing to do with "classism".

For the record I think the FA/EPL/EFL have made the wrong decision. However given that football is by far the most popular sport and thousands of people have travel plans for the weekend, then I suspect that they felt obliged to make the decision as early as possible.

onemansview

My home is Chesterfield but my heart is in Tokyo
Think that policing may have had a large part to play in this. I have heard concerns that resources might be too thinly stretched in covering stadiums and town centres where large crowds may gather to pay their respects at the same time.

Grecianpasty

Classism on who's part?

The government let the sporting affiliates make the decision. It was the efl and fa's decision to call the football off.

DJG.ECFC

Classism on who's part?

The government let the sporting affiliates make the decision. It was the efl and fa's decision to call the football off.
Depends how gullible you are. You don’t know the conversations had behind the scenes to each sporting body, none of us do. Seems like a bit of a coincidence the working class sports are called off but the others aren’t doesn’t it?

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Think that policing may have had a large part to play in this. I have heard concerns that resources might be too thinly stretched in covering stadiums and town centres where large crowds may gather to pay their respects at the same time.
Makes no sense to postpone parks football then, unless they think that by cancelling the big games we will be flocking to the Devon and Exeter League to watch Feniton 2nds v Tedburn St Mary

Last edited:

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just heard Kaveh Solakhel on Sky Sports News defending the decision. Saying that whilst rugby and cricket are going ahead, that football is the national sport and needs to lead on this.

Its a view, albeit a strange one

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
And “Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition”
Only the Monty Python version (which is excellent of course).
In reality, people were given 30 days notice!