• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Politics Thread USA Edition

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Republicans have to be hoping Trump is convicted of something, or is otherwise persuaded not to stand in 2024. No one will be hoping this more than one Ron DeSantis. He'll be desperate to face off against Biden rather than a younger Democrat in 2028. Win or lose (I'm pretty sure he'd lose), Trump standing in 2024 will only damage DeSantis' chances next time around.

Mr Jinx

Very well known Exeweb poster
The Republicans have to be hoping Trump is convicted of something, or is otherwise persuaded not to stand in 2024. No one will be hoping this more than one Ron DeSantis. He'll be desperate to face off against Biden rather than a younger Democrat in 2028. Win or lose (I'm pretty sure he'd lose), Trump standing in 2024 will only damage DeSantis' chances next time around.
Yes, the DeSantis question is an interesting one. Does he keep his powder dry for later and avoid a run off against Trump (which could damage him)? Or does he give it a go this time round (assuming Trump doesn't get taken out of the game)?

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, the DeSantis question is an interesting one. Does he keep his powder dry for later and avoid a run off against Trump (which could damage him)? Or does he give it a go this time round (assuming Trump doesn't get taken out of the game)?
My sense is DeSantis really needs to go for it now and not wait. Anything could happen in another 4 years, and I only see his prospects being damaged in that time. His strategy as governor is definitely high risk, high reward and it's paying off at the moment, I just don't know if it's a longterm thing. I'm not sure he sees it as a longterm thing to be honest. He seems to be following the Obama model of making as big a splash as possible in a state role for a few years, before taking a run at the top job.

IndoMike

Hahahaha. I've long suspected you were just on a wind up on here and this has confirmed it. Good work up to now, but you've pushed it a step too far. You just copied and pasted this from Tucker Carlson right?
Haha! Look how Junx avoided answering your accusation 😂. We'd better run all his posts through the Plagiarism Check"
😂

Mr Jinx

My sense is DeSantis really needs to go for it now and not wait. Anything could happen in another 4 years, and I only see his prospects being damaged in that time. His strategy as governor is definitely high risk, high reward and it's paying off at the moment, I just don't know if it's a longterm thing. I'm not sure he sees it as a longterm thing to be honest. He seems to be following the Obama model of making as big a splash as possible in a state role for a few years, before taking a run at the top job.
Yes, there is truth and sense in that. I just think a head on with Trump for the nomination could be damaging for him. A lot of brands got damaged when they went up against Trump for the 2016 nomination.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, there is truth and sense in that. I just think a head on with Trump for the nomination could be damaging for him. A lot of brands got damaged when they went up against Trump for the 2016 nomination.
Yes, if Trump isn't convicted of anything and announces he's standing, DeSantis has a very tricky decision to make.

arthur

Hats off to right wing Conservative Liz Cheyney who gas said she will do all she can to prevent Trump getting anywhere near the West Wing again. This could go two ways - running in the primaries to further publicise just how appalling Trump is (good), or standing as an independent and hoovering up sane Republican votes that would otherwise go to the Democrat candidate (very bad indeed)

Spoonz Red E

Hats off to right wing Conservative Liz Cheyney who gas said she will do all she can to prevent Trump getting anywhere near the West Wing again. This could go two ways - running in the primaries to further publicise just how appalling Trump is (good), or standing as an independent and hoovering up sane Republican votes that would otherwise go to the Democrat candidate (very bad indeed)
A fine balance.

If she does stand as an independent I hope that registered Democrats still come out in full force so that the Republican votes she attracts will actually reduce the MAGA GOP totals.

Although she lost her Senate primary she still picked up 30% Republican support on an Anti-Trump ticket in one of the Trumpiest states of all.

IndoMike

So what will happen should Trump win the next US election?

- Will he have all his enemies arrested?
(He is known to be vindictive).
- Will he change and become more benevolent.
- Will he suspend all political institutions ?
- Wil he coerce the US army into being at his beck and call?
- Will he form an alliance with Putin?..

arthur

Several states will secede, taking their wealth with them. The red states will be left with lots of corn, nuclear weapons, Trump voters, very unhappy people of colour and little else.