• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

The Politics Thread USA Edition

Banksy

Very well known Exeweb poster
I suppose at least you can at least avoid Brexit by coming on this thread.

DB9

I suppose at least you can at least avoid Brexit by coming on this thread.
No you can't, Where's our "Great US/UK Post Brexit trade deal" Trump promised us! 😉🤣

Mr Jinx

No you can't, Where's our "Great US/UK Post Brexit trade deal" Trump promised us! 😉🤣
Might be coming pretty quickly when the Trumpster gets back in.

Hermann

Well-known Exeweb poster
Shocker over in the US as Kansas votes to keep abortion rights, and comfortably. Kansas is generally pretty Republican (not voted for a Dem as president since the 60s), and this is perhaps the clearest indication yet that the party is wildly out of step with the public on this.

DB9

I do think there are more important things in the world at the moment, Putin and Xi must be laughing their heads off.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I do think there are more important things in the world at the moment, Putin and Xi must be laughing their heads off.

I would hope any credible government could focus on multiple issues at any one time. Sadly ours can only focus on electing a new PM and nothing else.

Spoonz Red E

She was meeting with disability rights leaders discussing the ramifications of the Supreme Court's overturning of Roe v Wade. Republicans are already using this outcome to push for future attempts to roll back LGBT rights in the same way.

From the fact checking link posted below ...

Context
Despite being lampooned by partisan critics as “idiotic,” Harris’ self-description was consistent with both a commitment to gender inclusivity and best practices for accommodating people who are visually impaired.
Harris’ self-description is considered a common practice to aid people who are visually impaired.
According to the state-run Missouri School for the Blind, there are a number of points of etiquette that are recommended:
"Introduce yourself using your name and/or position, especially if you are wearing a name badge containing this information.
Be precise and thorough when you describe people, places or things. Don’t leave things out or change a description because you think it is unimportant or unpleasant.
Feel free to use visually descriptive language. Making reference to colours, patterns, designs, and shapes is perfectly acceptable."
Harris’ introduction was thus in keeping both with a commitment to gender inclusivity and recommended methods for accommodating people with disabilities at gatherings.

DB9

She was meeting with disability rights leaders discussing the ramifications of the Supreme Court's overturning of Roe v Wade. Republicans are already using this outcome to push for future attempts to roll back LGBT rights in the same way.

From the fact checking link posted below ...

Context
Despite being lampooned by partisan critics as “idiotic,” Harris’ self-description was consistent with both a commitment to gender inclusivity and best practices for accommodating people who are visually impaired.
Harris’ self-description is considered a common practice to aid people who are visually impaired.
According to the state-run Missouri School for the Blind, there are a number of points of etiquette that are recommended:
"Introduce yourself using your name and/or position, especially if you are wearing a name badge containing this information.
Be precise and thorough when you describe people, places or things. Don’t leave things out or change a description because you think it is unimportant or unpleasant.
Feel free to use visually descriptive language. Making reference to colours, patterns, designs, and shapes is perfectly acceptable."
Harris’ introduction was thus in keeping both with a commitment to gender inclusivity and recommended methods for accommodating people with disabilities at gatherings.

Doesn’t matter, Ms Harris imo does not need to say that, The people around her know of her, As I said there are more things to worry about than pronouns etc

angelic upstart

Doesn’t matter, Ms Harris imo does not need to say that, The people around her know of her, As I said there are more things to worry about than pronouns etc
You want the posh, fancy politicians not to be the big I am and do what everyone else does. Then when they do, you don't like it?

Pronouns are way down the list of course. I'm sure the conservatives know that, but it makes for good clickbait.

DB9

You want the posh, fancy politicians not to be the big I am and do what everyone else does. Then when they do, you don't like it?

Pronouns are way down the list of course. I'm sure the conservatives know that, but it makes for good clickbait.
By doing this are they doing what everyone else does? I have never heard anyone during the course of my day/work/family/ travels mention pronouns when introducing themselves or in general chat or maybe I'm not a trendy professional living in the big city type and im too "provincial" to understand? Perhaps by saying what she said she's saying "Look at me, I'm being soooo 21st Century and on trend"