• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Squad Upgrade - League 1

dontpassback

Grounds has experience and can play the ball out from the back,he has been there and done that,and has never let us down when called upon,so another 12 months contract In my veiw would be prudent,however I am not Matt Taylor and it’s his opinion that counts

Cowshed Grecian

You’re miles off with this - his class has been so important to us and has a year left in him for sure
It’s not about class is it, it’s about him stepping up again to L1 when it’s faster and he’sr going on 35 . Swindon got relegated last time and he was a regular so I don’t want to take the chance,There are better options out there. If MT keeps him then fair enough, but I don’t think he will.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
It’s not about class is it, it’s about him stepping up again to L1 when it’s faster and he’sr going on 35 . Swindon got relegated last time and he was a regular so I don’t want to take the chance,There are better options out there. If MT keeps him then fair enough, but I don’t think he will.
I'd keep him for another year as a useful sub. He might not be the fastest thing on wheels but he's steady, can get the occasional goal, can pass out well, and has experience. You can't blame him for Swindon's downfall ; team game, innit?
Can't imagine a one-year contract would break our bank.

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
I am happy for Grounds to remain in a similar role to this season. As n when needed but not first choice by any stretch. Our central defence though fully fit of Stubbs, Sweeney, Hartridge, Diabate, Grounds is a decent league one defence.

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
Watched the interview on YouTube.

Obviously I'm saying this with no knowledge of your situation but he's basically repeating the same statement every club puts on their website about their loanees when the retained players list is published at the end of the season, even if they know (a) deal/s are in the pipeline. I understand there might be material reasons why some might not be kept on (e.g. Dawson's wages), but I wouldn't be reading too much in to anything being said at this stage...
Thanks for the objective view. This was what I was aaying but another poster seemed rather definate that Matt was saying something entirely different!

Grecian Max

Swindon getting relegated - they were rotten to the core -a dressing room that didn’t want to be there, a nasty ownership battle and club that almost went under.

He played in a back 4 and was exposed and as you say was a regular - none of the above will be relevant next season.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Peterborough's retained list

grecIAN Harris

Well that blows the Joel Randell waffle from last week out of the water.

Memphis09

Absolute must. Nailed on.
Sorry to slow
Saw that Saturday when we needed to drive into space he just ambled up
Been a solid signing but not what need next season

Memphis09

If you think he’s not good enough…ok, but if we have Stubbs (23) Hartridge (23) Dibiate (20) and possibly Pond (18) as a large part of our central defence next season, I wouldn’t say Grounds with his experience, calmness and ability to cover naturally on the left is at (34) too old.
Not too old just to slow for league 1